• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Police inspector faces hearing for leaking stories to Brighton reporter

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 9 Dec, 2015 at 3:47PM
A A
1
Police inspector faces hearing for leaking stories to Brighton reporter

A Sussex Police inspector is facing a disciplinary hearing on Monday accused of a catalogue of breaches of police protocol, including leaking a series of stories to The Argus’s former crime reporter.

Lee Lyons
Inspector Lee Lyons is also alleged to have phoned prostitutes while on duty, put details of operations on Facebook, emailed police documents home, and been rude to colleagues during an operation in Wales, including throwing a paper plate at a woman working in the canteen.

The hearing will be told that he formed relationships with two reporters, one of whom the News understands to be Anna Roberts, who joined the Argus in August 2010, and was later promoted to crime reporter, a post she held until she left in May 2014.

Lee Lyons is accused of leaking several stories to her from November 2011 onwards, including details of the robbery of a Newhaven taxi driver, an assault in Lewes and a teenager who died suddenly in the street in Bexhill.

The first text exchange detailed in the charges happened on 20 November, 2011: “you had a conversation by text with her in which she told you she had just been chastised by the (Sussex Police) Press Office for not following procedure and failing to reveal her source regarding an exclusive report by her.

“You texted, ‘Ask them about the taxi driver robbery in Newhaven instead!’ You added, ‘Not heard from me, of course.’

“You then disclosed details of the incident stating, ‘…About 2ish maybe. Four suspects used knife assaulted driver and had £100 away.’

The story appeared on the Argus website the following day under Ms Robert’s byline.

He is also alleged to have leaked a string of stories about policing in Battle and Hastings, where he was based, to a second local reporter, including crimes and details of force restructures.

And he is also charged with sending details of police operations to BBC producers, including the operational order for the Pride event in Brighton.

The journalism industry news website Press Gazette has questioned how Sussex Police obtained details of the text message exchanges, in the light of other forces using powers to seize journalists’ mobile phone records to investigate leaks.

It says: “Over the last four years at least 82 journalists have had their call records viewed by police forces in order to find their sources. This is the first time a police force has published details of the content of a journalist’s text messages, to Press Gazette’s knowledge.”

However, police denied that journalists’ phone records had been seized as part of the enquiry. A spokesman said: “Sussex Police became aware of contact with journalists as a result of examination of devices owned by Sussex Police and analysis of Lee Lyons’s personal devices, which were obtained with the necessary legal permissions.

“The investigation has not required or involved any access to records of any other parties.”

Inspector Lyons’ hearing will take place at 2.30pm on Monday at the Sussex Police headquarters in Lewes. This will be the force’s first such hearing to be held in public.

Insp Lyons was suspended from his post last year following an investigation into leaks to the media. He is now hoping to set up a bookshop in a former lingerie store in Battle and has launched a Crowdfunder campaign to raise the necessary funds.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Z Cars says:
    10 years ago

    Inspector Lee Lyons was dismissed today with immediate effect (1511 hrs) because his conduct amounted to a breach of the Standards of Professional Behaviour. He himself did not attend, having admitted all 21 allegations before the hearing, which was short.

    Though he had given good service since he started in 2001, he had not heeded management advice during the course of the allegations from August 2012 onwards concerning the boundaries of public service and private life.

    There were approx. 11 people at the hearing, mainly from the press or police but a few (approx. 4) from the public.

    No members of the BBC TV series “Cuffs” script writing team were present.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Police inspector faces hearing for leaking stories to Brighton reporter

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
December 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News