• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Work starts today on £485m Brighton hospital modernisation

by Frank le Duc
Monday 4 Jan, 2016 at 3:28AM
A A
0
Work starts today on £485m Brighton hospital modernisation

An artist's impression of an aerial view of the Royal Sussex site after the modernisation work is completed

Work is due to start on the £485 million modernisation of the Royal Sussex County Hospital today (Monday 4 January).

The first stage of the project includes a helideck being built on top of the Thomas Kemp Tower.

Work on this part of the project should be completed next year and will mean that air ambulances can land at the hospital rather than in East Brighton Park.

An artist's impression of an aerial view of the Royal Sussex site after the modernisation work is completed
An artist’s impression of an aerial view of the Royal Sussex site after the modernisation work is completed

Hoardings are to go up on the south east corner of the site – just south of the current cancer centre building.

Building work will start on this part of the site over the coming months and take about four years. The project as a whole is scheduled to last about eight years.

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the Royal Sussex, said: “The most noticeable change for anyone visiting the hospital will be the hoardings around the area just south of the Cancer Centre. All the main entrances and exits from the hospital will be unaffected.”

The project – known as the 3Ts project – was given final funding approval last year by the government almost 50 years after work started on the Thomas Kemp Tower, in 1966.

The 3Ts are training, trauma and tertiary care as the hospital is a teaching hospital and the main trauma centre for the area. The tertiary care services will include cancer treatments.

The trust has asked Brighton and Hove City Council for planning permission to put up temporary site offices in Eastern Road between the hospital and St Mary’s Hall.

The proposed site office for the modernisation work taking place at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton
The proposed site office for the modernisation work taking place at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton

The contractor for the project, Laing O’Rourke, submitted an application in August which was validated nine days before Christmas.

The application – for a three-storey modular prefab steel building on the old tennis court and car park – is due to be decided by the start of March.

Up to 80 staff are expected to use the site offices which will be 30ft (9m) high. The building will include changing rooms and showers for hundreds more and will be in use from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 7am to 2pm on Saturdays.

In a supporting letter, Laing O’Rourke said that there would be no on-site parking. Instead, “staff and operatives will park on the old gas works site and walk to the St Mary’s site accommodation and onwards to the 3Ts site”

But there will be parking for 40 bikes on the site.

Laing O’Rourke said: “The proposed site accommodation is required from March 2016 until March 2024 when the 3Ts development will be complete.

How the first of the new buildings at the Royal Sussex County Hospital is expected to look
How the first of the new buildings at the Royal Sussex County Hospital is expected to look

“Upon completion of the 3Ts contract, Laing O’Rourke proposes to remove the site accommodation and reinstate the grounds of St Mary’s Hall back to its present condition and usage.”

There is currently space for 12 cars on the site and there are 10 trees – sycamores and elms. Laing O’Rourke said that measures would be taken to protect the trees.

Planning permission was granted almost four years ago – in 2012 – for the hospital modernisation. The work is phased over three stages and is scheduled to be completed in 2024. It is starting after almost seven years of planning and preparation.

The trust said: “More information about the changes to the hospital in the coming months can be found at www.bsuh.nhs.uk/3ts.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Work starts today on £485m Brighton hospital modernisation

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Suspected stalker charged with threatening to burn down woman’s home

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News