• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Junior doctors from Brighton head to London demo ahead of first of three strikes

by Frank le Duc
Friday 8 Jan, 2016 at 7:32PM
A A
0

Junior doctors and campaigners from Brighton plan to head to a demo in London tomorrow (Saturday 9 January) days before they go on strike.

As well as the dispute over junior doctors’ pay and conditions, medics and their supporters will protest a proposal by the Chancellor to scrap student bursaries for nurses.

George Osborne announced the plan in his autumn statement. Nurses would be expected to take a student loan instead, even though there is a shortage of home-grown nurses.

The first of three strikes by junior doctors is due to start on Tuesday (12 January).

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the Royal Sussex County Hospital, said: “There is due to be national junior doctors industrial action from 8am on Tuesday 12 January until 8am on Wednesday 13 January.

“Some elective surgery and outpatient appointments will be cancelled and rescheduled but if you don’t hear from us please assume your appointment will go ahead as planned.

“We would encourage the public to help keep our Emergency Department free for emergencies and use other services such as NHS 111, the Urgent Treatment Centre at Crawley Hospital and the Brighton Station Health Centre if possible.”

Anger

Sussex Defend the NHS said: “Last month saw a massive demonstration by junior doctors, health workers and the public expressing anger at the government’s attempt to impose an unsafe and unfair new contract on our doctors.

“Strike plans were put on hold when finally the government agreed to talks at ACAS.

“These have now ground to a halt as the BMA accused the government of ‘intransigence’ and of not committing to serious negotiation.”

British Medical Association (BMA) chairman Mark Porter said: “After weeks of further negotiations, it is clear that the government is still not taking junior doctors’ concerns seriously.

“Furthermore, the government has repeatedly dragged its feet throughout this process.

“We sincerely regret the disruption that industrial action will cause but junior doctors have been left with no option.

“It is because the government’s proposals would be bad for patient care as well as junior doctors in the long term that we are taking this stand.”

Local BMA rep Todd Leckie said that there would be a demonstration outside the Royal Sussex from 7am until noon followed by a rally in the centre of Brighton.

Debt

Sussex Defend the NHS said that the government plans to remove the student bursary for training meant trainee health professionals could end up in debt to the tune of £50,000.

Maya Bowles, a student nurse at Brighton University, said: “Osborne’s bursary cuts are another example of this government’s detachment from the needs of real working people.

“The cut will not open more places in universities but cut the lifeline that nurses, midwives and other health care professionals depend on to live while working long hospital hours and studying on top.

“Why are those that care for the most vulnerable people in our society being penalised?

“A cynic might think this is just another co-ordinated attack on our NHS. But hey, I’m only a nurse.”

Katrina Miller, from Sussex Defend the NHS, said: “I honestly never thought I would see the day when doctors went on strike.

“If anyone thinks this is easy then they’re wrong. And now student nurses as well? This is all wrong.

“This government is intent on making everything in the NHS really bad and then their health corporation friends will just step in and we’ll all end up having to pay for health care through private insurance.

“It would be great to see real support across the city for our doctors, student nurses and midwives.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Junior doctors from Brighton head to London demo ahead of first of three strikes

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
January 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News