• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Funding agreed to save Brighton cycle track

by Frank le Duc
Monday 11 Jan, 2016 at 6:53PM
A A
1
Big turnout in Brighton to save Preston Park Cycle Track

A funding package has been agreed to save the Preston Park velodrome, Brighton and Hove City Council said today (Monday 11 January).

British Cycling and the council have jointly finalised the funding which will pay for safety improvement works at the historic Preston Park Cycling Track.

The track was closed to competitive cycling last year after users identified concerns over the velodrome.

The council said that, throughout last year, British Cycling representatives worked with council officials to look at ways to carry out repairs as quickly as possible to meet the needs of local cyclists.

With the funding package now agreed, work on the track will start early this year. The work is scheduled to be completed – and the site should be fully operational – in the spring.

The total cost of the works is £160,000, most of which is being funded by a grant award from British Cycling, with the remaining £50,000 coming from developers’ contributions. These are also known as planning gain or section 106 funding contributions from planning applications.

Preston Park Velodrome

British Cycling coaching, education and development director John Mills said: “Preston Park provides an excellent traffic-free cycling facility which is of great value to the people of Brighton and the wider south east region.

“We are delighted to have agreed a partnership funding package for the work which will see this track return to full operation in the spring.”

Council leader Warren Morgan said: “This announcement is excellent news for the cycling community. The Preston Park velodrome is a much-loved part of our city’s history, being the oldest cycling track in the country.

“The funds will be put to good use to replace the fencing and carry out minor repairs.

“The track is used by riders of all abilities and after the repairs are completed everyone will be able to enjoy it, knowing it is a safer and refurbished place to cycle.

“It will also be wonderful for the Track League to return as it is a great community event every week, bringing people together from all over Sussex and further afield to compete in or spectate the racing.”

The cost of the scheme is lower than originally anticipated, meaning more funding will remain for investment in the rest of Preston Park in line with its management plan.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Gerald Wiley says:
    11 years ago

    Really pleased that the basic repairs required to get the historic cycle track (it’s not a real ‘velodrome’) usable again for racing have been approved, rather than the grandiose redevelopment that some had desired.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Funding agreed to save Brighton cycle track

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News