Brighton and Hove parents to learn today which primary school their children will go to in September

Posted On 18 Apr 2016 at 9:35 am

Seven in eight Brighton and Hove children have been given places at their first preference primary school this year, with 2.4% not given a place at any of their schools of choice.

Letters and emails are going out today to families to let them know which school their children have a place at in September.

The number of children given first place preference schools has stayed roughly the same as last year, and the number of children not getting into any schools of choice has dropped from 117 to 75.

The chair of the council’s children, young people and skills committee, Councillor Tom Bewick, said: “I’m delighted that we’ve been able to offer the vast majority of local families their first choice school.

“As a father of three children myself I know just how important school place allocations are for our residents.”

The figures for this year (2016-17) are:

First preferences allocated 2,470 pupils or 87.9%

Second preferences allocated 197 pupils or 7%

Third preferences allocated 67 pupils or 2.4%

Direction (= no preference met) 75 (2.4%) pupils

Total applications 2809

The figures for last year (2015-6) were:

First preferences allocated 2,509 pupils or 87.8%

Second preferences allocated 172 pupils or 6%

Third preferences allocated 60 pupils or 2.1%

Direction (= no preference met) 117 (4.1%) pupils

Total applications 2858

A pdf giving the number of applications and places allocated for each preference by school, and the furthest distance from each school an admitted child lives, has also been published on the council website.

Brighton and Hove City Council said: “Parents that applied online will be notified by email during the afternoon of the outcome of their application.

“If you completed a paper application form, letters will be sent by first class post to parents to notify them of the outcome of their application.”

The council said that parents have until Monday 2 May to accept the school place offered to their children before it is withdrawn.

There are limited grounds for appeal for parents who are unhappy with the outcome. The deadline to submit an appeal is Thursday 19 May.

For more information, click here.

Appeal hearings are scheduled to take place in July.

Did your child get into the school they wanted? Or are you one of the unlucky few without a place at any of your preferences? Let us know in the comments below or by emailing brightonandhovenews@gmail.com.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.