• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Kemp Town Carnival urges people to party, not protest as far right march chooses same day to descend on Brighton

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 23 May, 2016 at 3:47PM
A A
0
Kemp Town Carnival urges people to party, not protest as far right march chooses same day to descend on Brighton

Kemp Town Carnival in 2016, the last time the event was held

By Sian Blewitt

Kemp Town Carnival organisers say they have complete confidence in the police to ensure any far right marches don’t disrupt this year’s festivities.

Kemp Town Carnival
A No More Refugees demo has been called by nationalist groups for Saturday, 4 June – the same day as this year’s carnival.

But carnival director Matthew James Cook urged people to ignore anyone turning up in the city hoping to cause trouble, and to party in Kemp Town instead.

He said: “We notified the police a few weeks ago as soon as we heard about it. The force has had no official approach by the organisation to march.

“My instinct is that it will fizzle out or not happen at all, or it will be a handful of people surrounded by police that won’t be able to cause any trouble.

“I have got complete confidence in the police to handle it.

“Don’t give them the time of day, come to the carnival and get involved in something that is wonderfully diverse and celebrates everything. Just ignore them.

“If they do come to Brighton what do we want to give them? A memory of getting into a big old fight or coming along and nobody paying them any attention until they get bored. I think the latter.

“If it’s going to be taking place that’s exactly what I’ll be encouraging.”

 

The far right groups, named Pie and Mash squad and South Coast Resistance, created a Facebook event called No more refugees demo last month but there has been little recent activity on the page.

A far right march was planned on the same day of the last Kemp Town Carnival, in 2014, but it didn’t impact on the carnival at all.

Mr Cook said: “In 2014, the last time the carnival happened, there was a march the same day and we saw nothing of it. The police handled it very well and kept it very confined to a small area.

“If they do turn up the police are very much working with us on it 100% and any additional policing that we feel needs to be put in and around the carnival will come at no extra cost to us.

“We have already paid a small amount to have a police presence as part of our standard operation.”

The carnival, which hosts six live music stages, parades and street theatre, is a community collaboration that begins on St. Georges Street.

The march is expected to come down Queens Road to Madeira drive, passing through some of Brighton Fringe Festival. He said he had spoken with Julian Caddy, the director of Brighton Fringe Festival about the possible threat.

He said: “The outcome of this has been an alliance. The fringe festival would be right in the thick of it, passing the Spiegeltent, so Julian shares our concerns. He has written a letter that we are taking to the police as well.”

There have been no counter demonstrations planned, and Mr Cook advised people not to plan one.

He said: “My advice to anybody who is thinking about getting involved in any counter demonstrations is to not, it’s a complete waste of time and it plays right into their hands.”

Meanwhile, the carnival is looking for volunteers. Anyone interested can apply here. 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Kemp Town Carnival urges people to party, not protest as far right march chooses same day to descend on Brighton

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
May 2016
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News