• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton and Hove taxi driver suspended over sex assault claim

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 6 Aug, 2016 at 2:39AM
A A
0

A Brighton and Hove taxi driver has been suspended over allegations of a sexual assault involving “a young female”.

Details of the suspension were shared with the Brighton and Hove Taxi Trade Forum by Brighton and Hove City Council hackney carriage officer Martin Seymour.

The council has since declined to say where and when the assault took place, although the driver’s licence was suspended between Thursday 30 June and Wednesday 20 July.

It was not clear whether the driver was licensed to drive taxis, private hire vehicles or both. He is still able to drive a private car – just not for hire.

It was also unclear what age the victim was, the nature of the assault and whether she was known to the driver.

Claims of sexual assaults by Uber drivers was one of the concerns raised by the trade locally when objecting to the phone app-based operator.

The council declined to give any further information, saying that it was an active case and that it was with Sussex Police.

The police were unable to say whether the driver had been interviewed or arrested in relation to the allegations.

taxi

At the Taxi Trade Forum Mr Seymour said that since the start of March two drivers had had their licences suspended pending investigations by the police. The council did not say what the allegations involved.

Two other drivers had their licences suspended on “conduct grounds”, one was suspended because of drug use. And, since the start of last month, one driver had been given a warning for having a previous conviction for drink driving.

Mr Seymour added that one application for a licence was refused because of convictions and cautions relating to drug dealing.

When the suspensions were detailed at a meeting of the council’s Licensing Committee, Councillor Dee Simson said that it gave her cause for grave concern.

They involved some of the worst instances of unacceptable behaviour by drivers that had ever been brought before the committee, she said.

Mr Seymour said that the driver who was suspended over drug use had been the person who notified the council although notification had also been received from social services who had also had involvement with the driver’s household.

He said that the drug dealing convictions and cautions had been had been disclosed by the applicant on a disclosure form.

Mr Seymour told the Taxi Trade Forum that councillors on the Licensing Committee were concerned about the behaviour of some drivers who they said had been rude and abusive.

They had also raised concerns about illegal ranks in particular in Church Street and King’s Road. The forum indicated that more enforcement would help to improve the situation.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Brighton and Hove taxi driver suspended over sex assault claim

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Love Supreme Jazz Festival announces full 2026 line-up

Love Supreme Jazz Festival announces full 2026 line-up

20 May 2026
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News