• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Disgruntled commuters plan Victoria protest as they step up crowdfunding campaign

by Frank le Duc
Monday 26 Sep, 2016 at 3:17PM
A A
0
Disgruntled commuters plan Victoria protest as they step up crowdfunding campaign

A disgruntled commuters’ group is planning a protest at Victoria Station in London at 6pm on Thursday (29 September).

The Association of British Commuters said that the “Southern Justice” demo – to be held on the concourse at Victoria – would have a justice theme.

The organisers urged people to come dressed in, say, a judge’s wig or a robber’s outfit – or carrying a swag bag.

The protesters, who are angry over the longstanding problems on the Southern Rail network, will be joined by supporters of Bring Back British Rail.

The Association of British Commuters hopes to bring a judicial review – a type of court case – looking at the handling of the Southern Rail franchise by the Department for Transport (DfT).

The believe that the problems at Southern’s owner – Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) – are in part caused by the DfT.

A crowdfunding campaign – on the Crowdjustice website – to raise money to pay for the case passed its initial £10,000 target within days of going live. It has now raised more than £18,000.

The campaigners have eight days left to reach a “stretch target” of £25,000. It will take just over 300 more people to chip in the running average of about £20 which is less than many pay for their train ticket to work.

The group said: “The Southern Rail crisis cannot be resolved until we achieve the clarity that can only be found in essential documents currently redacted or undisclosed by the DfT.

“They have so far failed to reveal these documents, either to lawyers, the public or to the Parliamentary Select Committee for Transport itself.

“Our call for #SouthernJustice is the commuter’s last resort – no progress can be made until the public are able to assess the contents of these essential documents – the only way to determine if, and how, Govia are in breach of their franchise agreement.

“These include documents referred to in the franchise agreement, the breach notice served on Govia on 7 July 2015 (which the DfT has a clear duty to publish) and the disclosure of a complete copy of February’s remedial plan, by which it is possible to assess whether Govia has been compliant.

“We also feel strongly that the public have a right to see the report by Chris Gibb’s project board of 1st September, which has not been made public.

“Much of the media focuses on a simple narrative of unions v management. We believe this depiction is vastly insufficient in analysing the real timescale and issues behind the crisis and, more worryingly still, the dangers behind a unique kind of ‘management contract’ that may see GTR acting at the behest of the government while the DfT continue to avoid all transparency and accountability.”

ABC campaign co-ordinator Emily Yates said: “We cannot move forward without transparency from the Department for Transport, who hold the key to understanding how this rail catastrophe came about.

“Essential documents remain redacted and withheld and this has massive implications for the whole country – the public have a right to see exactly what has been going on behind the scenes.”

Her colleague Summer Dean said: “The need for transparency has never been more urgent. Commuters are not getting the justice or basic service they deserve. Our call for justice relates not only to untangling the truth behind the crisis but is also made on behalf of hundreds of thousands of commuters who deserve proper compensation, health and safety rights, equality of access and a basic level of service and reliability.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Disgruntled commuters plan Victoria protest as they step up crowdfunding campaign

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

18 May 2026
Biscuit Barrel, Brighton Fringe, Komedia Studio, 10th & 17th May 2026

A Biscuit Barrel Full Of Energy

18 May 2026
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
September 2016
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News