• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Post room blunder leads to unwanted Woodingdean telephone mast going up

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 28 Sep, 2016 at 10:46AM
A A
5
Post room blunder leads to unwanted Woodingdean telephone mast going up

A mobile telephone mast has been installed despite the council refusing permission because a five-day delay in the post room meant it was refused too late.
warren-road-mast
Engineers installed a green box for the 12.5m Vodafone mast in Warren Road after dark last Thursday night, to the dismay of residents who had objected to the application and thought it had been rejected.

Today, the chair of the city council’s planning committee apologised for the blunder and said that council procedures were being tightened up as a result. However, the mast will now remain.

Annie Dorling, who runs a therapy studio opposite the mast site, said she and other residents objected because of the risks of radiation from the mast, particularly as there are two schools, a nursery, community centre, nursing home, hospital and doctor’s surgery nearby.

She said: “We as residents in Woodingdean do not object the telephone companies to build a mast, but not in the centre of Woodingdean. They can build away from the people, that what we want them to do.

“We can live without mobile phones, but we cannot have bad health because of it. Profits for mobile phone companies is not the human kind’s concern and the council should be strong enough to turn it down at all cost.

“The person who made that mistake should be personally responsible to make it good.

“On the other hand, a refusal means a refusal, the companies should have a good moral and accept it regardless the days in question. The mobile companies are trying to find loophole to carry out their money making projects to gain more profits.”

Ward councillor Dee Simson, who had lodged an objection to the application, said: “The incompetence in this whole situation is unbelievable. Woodingdean residents are now left with a 12.5metre phone mast that should never have been allowed to be erected.

“Residents met their democratic obligations by submitting written objections to the mast along with myself and others so why can’t the council fulfil theirs?

“The people of Woodingdean are quite understandably very upset that such a structure is being placed in front of the village’s historic cottages which they consider precious to the community. It will completely change the street scene.”

The application for approval for the mast and two equipment cabinets was rejected by the council on 23 May 2016. All local planning authorities must issue approval decisions within 56 days of receiving an application, failure to do so means proposals are then deemed to have been approved.

The council’s planning team received the application on 29 March and the decision to refuse approval was issued on 23 May, the fifty-sixth day. However following work to install the mast starting last week, an investigation has shown there was a five day delay between the council’s post room receiving the application and the planning team receiving it.

This resulted in an incorrect receipt date and the decision being issued after 56 days. Therefore, the phone mast was deemed to have consent.

Councillor Julie Cattell, Chair of the planning committee said: “I’m very sorry for the delay that occurred and I apologise to Woodingdean residents who opposed the mast and who took the time to make their views known to us.

“I have taken this up with senior staff at the council and although this will be of little comfort with regards to this case, this terrible oversight has resulted in the council’s procedures being changed to reduce, as far as possible, a repeat of this very unfortunate situation.”

The application was refused because of the impact the large mast would have on the street scene.

As well as objections from three residents, the residents’ association and Cllr Simson, one resident wrote in to support the plans as they would boost signal and “people don’t realise that they get over 100 times more radiation from the sun than a telecom post”.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. danny says:
    10 years ago

    https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-phone-mast-on-warren-road-outside-the-nursery-and-schools?source=facebook-share-button&time=1475247919

    Reply
  2. Emma W says:
    10 years ago

    An apology is not good enough. My six year old attends one of the schools and there are no long term studies which show that masts are safe for young children to be exposed to. The incompetence and negligence of the council is the cause of this and they should be doing their utmost to stop it rather than washing their hands off it. The reason there weren’t more objections is because the majority of residents weren’t even consulted.

    Reply
  3. Claire Thomas says:
    10 years ago

    I don’t give a toss about these people’s health, I want good mobile coverage when I’m in Woodingdean. I run my own business, so obviously my needs are more important than theirs.

    This bunch of Luddites would have probably signed a petition against the wheel being introduced…

    Reply
    • Chris says:
      10 years ago

      A well thought out view’s fair enough, Claire, but what you spouted above doesn’t endear me to any business you may be running. It would be grand to have it’s name as, if you’re a true local business, you may well find many of us residents (who disagree with the siting of the mast rather than having one at all) may not ‘care a toss’ about it. If not, shouldn’t take us 56 days to find out.

      Reply
  4. Christine Robinson says:
    10 years ago

    Claire Thomas, do you live in Woodingdean? Do you have children who go to the school or nursery?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Post room blunder leads to unwanted Woodingdean telephone mast going up

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
September 2016
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News