A burst water main on one of Brighton’s busiest roads is causing chaos this afternoon – and will remain partly closed until at least Monday.
More than 1,000 households’ water supplies were affected as a result of the burst main at the bottom of Ditchling Road near the junction with Viaduct Road.
This picture by Luke Street shows how the water is gushing down the road earlier this afternoon. Brighton and Hove News understands the Level and roads around its north end are now flooding too as a result.
A spokeswoman for Southern Water said earlier today: “We have identified a burst on a 9” main in Ditchling Road and are just about to begin repairs.
“At present around 1,200 customers are affected in the Ditchling and Hollingdean area as we have shut off the valve in order to carry out the repair. We are liaising with these customers and will be rezoning water in order to restore supply to the remaining affected properties.
“We are working to identify any customers with specific needs and will be arranging for alternative supplies for these customers as a matter of urgency.
“We have closed one lane of Ditchling Road while we carry out the repair and as a result traffic is likely to be slower than usual due to these traffic restrictions. We would urge people to find an alternative route if possible to help ease congestion. We’ll continue to work alongside our colleagues in the emergency services to ensure public safety.
“We will provide updates and information as the situation progresses and would like to thank our customers for their patience while we work to carry out this emergency repair.”
Water was restored shortly after 4pm. The spokeswoman said: “Customers may notice some discolouration or low pressure at first; this is completely normal when there’s been a disruption to the supply and is only temporary.
“For more information on why this happens we have a dedicated webpage: https://www.southernwater.co.uk/discolouration-of-water.”
A council spokesman said: “The capacity of the road has been reduced as the works have closed one of the two southbound lanes.
“Because of the damage to the carriageway the lane closure will have to remain at least over the weekend.
We’ve activated message signs giving drivers warning of the potential delays caused by the works.”