• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Demolition of hospital’s Jubilee building begins

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 14 Feb, 2017 at 4:18PM
A A
1
Demolition of hospital’s Jubilee building begins

Work to demolish a hospital building where patients have been treated for more than 100 years has begun this week.
jubilee
The beginning of the hard deconstruction of the Jubilee Building at the Royal Sussex County Hospital has been marked with a ceremonial hammer swing.

Nicki Colburn, the junior sister on the Oncology Ward, exchanged her uniform for protective gear to take the first swing at her department’s old building.

Accompanied by representatives from contractors Laing O’Rourke and H.Smith, Nicki climbed to the top of the scaffold surrounding the Jubilee Building.

Wielding a 2-kilo hammer with some skill she marked both the building and the official start of the hard deconstruction process.

After witnessing how much effort was involved in removing even a small piece of the building by hand Nicki said: “It now makes perfect sense to me why the building has to be taken down using a machine.

“In one way I am sorry to see it go because there are so many stories linked to it, but the age of the building made caring for patents harder. If we want new buildings, and I think everyone does, it makes sense to replace the really old ones.”

The oncology and infectious diseases wards moved out of the Jubilee Building in November of last year as part of the 3Ts Redevelopment’s Decant Programme.

Relocating from the 130 year old facility to the brand new Courtyard Building has already made a real difference to the experience of patients and staff.

The temporary building offers three times as much space per patient, plenty of storage, and 18 of the 22 beds are in single en-suite rooms. The wards will stay in the modular Courtyard Building until their accommodation is ready in the redevelopment’s two new, permanent buildings.

The Jubilee Building will be taken down using a long arm excavator which will remove one level of the building at a time, in small sections. The building’s materials will be removed from the hospital in covered containers.

The Jubilee Building is the largest structure to be taken down in preparation for the redevelopment’s Stage 1 Building.

It took its first patients in 1887 and was named in honour of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. The deconstruction will be completed in April of this year.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    9 years ago

    This is a sad day for loss of history and heritage. It would have been nice to at least retain the frontage and original building line within the wider design. As a respected feature detail.

    The hospital is over 150 years old.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Valerie Paynter Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Demolition of hospital’s Jubilee building begins

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
February 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News