• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton Half Marathon organisers apologise for not going the distance

by Frank le Duc
Friday 31 Mar, 2017 at 10:03PM
A A
0
8,000 runners race through Brighton in the Sussex Beacon Half Marathon

The organisers of the Brighton Half Marathon have apologised after the course for the past three years turned out to be almost a tenth of a mile short.

They carried out checks after some runners claimed that it was too short and others that it was too long.

The event is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the Sussex Beacon but also attracts many serious runners.

Today (Friday 28 march) the organisers said: “Earlier this month Brighton Half Marathon was contacted by UK Athletics following concerns regarding the length of this year’s course and the course in 2015 and 2016.

“Over the past few weeks we have been conducting a formal investigation into this matter and can now confirm that unfortunately the course has been short by 146 metres (0.09 miles) for these particular race years.

“The area of concern centred on the turning point just after mile 4 where the course passes Roedean School before turning and heading back towards Brighton.

“UK Athletics’ concerns were not observational regarding the course layout but were based on an analysis of GPS data.

“The accuracy of GPS devices is a hot topic within running at the moment, with some runners reporting variances for the race both under and over the correct half marathon distance.


“However, our internal investigation has looked not only at runner data but also internal procedures for delivering how the course was set out for each event.

“We have concluded that the eastern turning point has been positioned incorrectly over the last three half marathons, resulting in a shortfall in the overall half marathon distance.

“We are devastated that this mistake has happened and apologise unreservedly to all runners who took part in the affected race years.”

Sussex Beacon chief executive Simon Dowe said: “We can’t apologise enough for this mistake. I know it’s hugely disappointing to everyone who trained so hard.

“I also know that for some, the news will be devastating as it affects race times, personal bests and records.

“Our thoughts are very much with the runners. I’m so sorry that their remarkable achievements and the money raised for good causes may be overshadowed by this error.”

Race director Martin Harrigan said: “We are a team of runners ourselves so we fully understand the impact of this news.

“We are really upset that this mistake has happened and we take full responsibility for this situation.

“We remain committed to making the 2018 Brighton Half Marathon a great event.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Brighton Half Marathon organisers apologise for not going the distance

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News