• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Uber’s Brighton licence renewed – but only for six months

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 2 Nov, 2017 at 12:45PM
A A
2
Uber cars under investigation by council licensing officers

Brighton and Hove City Council has extended Uber’s licence to operate a taxi service in the city – but only for a further six months while it monitors the implications of the loss of its London licence.

The decision on the length of the extension, which was made yesterday by licensing officers, was taken to allow the council to monitor the outcome of the Transport for London Uber decision, and consider whether any of the information arising from the case had direct implications for the operation in the city.

It also allows the council more time to negotiate with Uber about a number of proposed conditions for operating in the city.

The taxi hailing app’s operating licence in London was not renewed in September after Transport for London said it showed “a lack of corporate responsibility in relation to a number of issues which have potential public safety and security implications”.

These including driver security checks, dealing with serious complaints and the possible use of software which bars public officials from using the app to monitor how the company complies the licence.

Brighton and Hove taxi drivers had urged the city council not to renew the lift-sharing company’s licence here either, partly on the basis it is breaking a verbal assurance made at the original licence hearing to use only drivers licensed in the city.

A council spokesman said: “In making this week’s decision, council officers studied reports and written submissions from interested parties. While there was no evidence to suggest that public safety had been compromised, there are a number of concerns and Uber are working with the council to address these and reassure residents and visitors about their safety.

“Under national law, licensed drivers can operate anywhere in the country, so drivers licensed elsewhere are allowed to operate in the city. Many authorities have fewer conditions attached to their licensing than is the case here.

“When licensing operators, Brighton and Hove City Council work with them to maintain and enhance standards of safety, which includes trying to ensure that drivers not licensed locally can be as accountable as possible.

“We’re working with Uber to ensure safety standards are maintained and address the challenges brought about by technological changes.

“All Brighton and Hove private hire and Hackney Carriage drivers in the city operate under the same licences and the same guidelines contained in the Blue Book, whichever company they drive for. Likewise, all drivers undergo the same background checks.

“Following the council’s standard procedure for renewing taxi operators’ license renewals, the decision was taken by officers under delegated authority.

“A decision on the process to look at the licence at the end of this six-month period will be taken in the new year.”

The GMB Brighton and Hove Taxi Section said: “The GMB Brighton & Hove Taxi Section are disappointed that Brighton and Hove City Council have backed a multi-billion dollar company that refuses to supply wheelchair accessible vehicles in the city on demand in the city the same way that the local taxi companies have always done.

“We made a point of ensuring the council asked Uber specific questions as shown in the Local Government Association Handbook that the council is a member of.

“These specific questions were also supplied by the GMB to the council to ask Uber and were used by Reading and North Tyneside Councils where Uber walked away.

“However as far as we can see at the moment these questions were not included in the renewal application process and we have asked for an explanation of this.

“The council has stated that certain conditions have been put in place and these appear to have come from Uber itself but we need to confirm this.

“However those condition are unsatisfactory and we have already addressed this to the council.

“Where the trade has complained about Uber using vehicle and drivers from all over the UK even the council has stated the following

“Many authorities have fewer conditions attached to their licensing than is the case here.

“Lastly this has never been about competition it has simply been about a level playing field working on equal conditions and high standards.”

Councillor Lynda Hyde, the Conservatives’ lead member for licensing, was one of three councillors present as an observer when officers, advised by lawyers, reached their decision.

She said: “I wanted the decision to be made at a public meeting, not behind closed doors.

“The consensus seems to be coming round to my view that the next decision should be made openly and transparently in public.”

Much has changed since the council settled on its current process for licensing taxis and private hire drivers, vehicles and operators, including national laws and the entry of app-based operators into the market.

Some councillors believe in the light of those changes that it is appropriate to take a fresh look at when decisions should be taken by elected councillors and when they should be delegated to officials.

The initial decision to grant Uber a licence was taken in public by a licensing panel made up of three councillors.

The decision to renew Uber’s licence was taken by officials with lawyers in attendance and was observed by Councillor Hyde, the Greens lead member for licensing, Councillor Lizzie Deane and Jackie O’Quinn, the Labour councillor who chairs the Licensing Committee.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Ayo says:
    9 years ago

    God bless Brighton & Hove for this courageous move of extending Uber’s license as families and friends relys on it’s amazing service likewise the drivers survival.

    Reply
  2. Panda says:
    9 years ago

    Ayo you’re a fool! Uber will eventually have driverless cars and where will the driver’s survival be then?! That’s after they driven every local company out of business everywhere. Where will the driver’s survival be then? Uber’s only interested in profits not drivers and you my friend are helping them!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Uber’s Brighton licence renewed – but only for six months

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News