• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Push for Pavilion and Dome merger next spring

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 27 Nov, 2017 at 12:34PM
A A
0
Push for Pavilion and Dome merger next spring

Royal Pavilion by Marc Pinter-Krainer

A new cultural trust due to be set up to run the Royal Pavilion and city museums could now merge with the Brighton Dome and Festival trust as early as next spring.

Royal Pavilion by Marc Pinter-Krainer

Plans to set up the cultural trust were approved by councillors in January, with councillors being asked to note that a roadmap would be drawn up to consider merging it with the Dome and Festival trust within four years of it being set up.

But the council now wants to skip that phase and go straight to setting up a single trust to encompass the whole of the Royal Pavilion estate and the city’s museums.

Workers at the Pavilion and museums were told of the new plans last week, prompting fears over the implication for jobs.

But the council said all jobs would be transferred to the new trust with the same terms and conditions.

A source close to the Pavilion said many were concerned they may lose their jobs if the merger goes ahead. They added: “Meetings and briefings were going on at the highest level behind closed doors.”

The council said that the creation of a single cultural charity to manage the whole Pavilion estate and the Brighton Festival is a long-held ambition.

We believe that this will better protect their long term future by enabling us to take advantage of the opportunities for growing audiences through collaboration, and developing a sustainable financial model with greater fundraising potential.

A council spokesman said: “Our detailed work has shown that our objective could be achieved more quickly than a two-stage process (the path advised by consultants PwC), which would first create a museum and heritage trust and then seek to bring that together with the existing trust for Brighton Dome & Brighton Festival. Moving straight to a single trust would also mean less risk of disruption and duplication of cost.

“We are now exploring this further and discussions have now begun between the council, the shadow board of the proposed museums trust, and Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival about whether this is a preferable approach for all parties.

“We need to stress that nothing has yet been decided, and such a move would require approval of the council’s policy, resources and growth committee. Were staff to transfer into any other body, this would be under TUPE regulations, so all staff employed at the time would transfer on their current terms.”

Councillor Alan Robins, chair of the tourism, development and culture committee, said: “Partnership is key to the future of these services. Moving to a single charity is an exciting prospect for the Royal Pavilion and Museums.

“It would open up greater opportunities to work with Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival as well as protect our combined cultural offer for future generations.

“Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival is a trusted partner of the council, and highly regarded as a well-managed and ambitious organisation by the Arts Council.

“The shadow board, established for the new museums trust in May, has been working well. Our initial work on the “two stage process” is still relevant and discussions have now begun between the council, the shadow board and Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival to explore the single approach and to look at how it could work for all the organisations involved.

“If this approach is agreed, it is anticipated that the new arrangements for Royal Pavilion and Museums will be in place from 1 April 2018.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Push for Pavilion and Dome merger next spring

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News