A Brighton and Hove taxi driver has lost his licence after he was accused of a serious sexual offence.
The cabbie, a 35-year-old man from Portslade, worked for Brighton and Hove Radio Cabs, one of the three main taxi and private hire businesses operating in the area.
A fourth business, Uber, faces a licensing panel on Monday (23 April) in the hope of renewing its private hire licence for Brighton and Hove.
Sussex Police said: “A 35-year-old man from Portslade, arrested on suspicion of sexual assault on a female in a taxi in Brighton on (Sunday) 4 February, answered bail on (Wednesday) 28 March.
“He was subsequently released under investigation.”
Brighton and Hove City Council said: “We were informed by the police that a taxi driver had been accused of a serious sexual offence and, as a result of our own inquiries, his licence to operate as a taxi driver and his vehicle licence have both been revoked.
“Public safety is a priority and we act on any intelligence regarding public safety, regardless of an arrest or charge, and take the appropriate action to protect passengers where we believe the evidence we have support this.
“General details of enforcement action taken against taxi and private hire drivers are reported to each meeting of the council’s Licensing Committee and these reports are available on the council’s website.
“The majority of the licensed taxi trade are very aware of the high responsibility of the work they do and act in a professional manner.”
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.