• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Greens call for action on GP shortage in Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 26 Apr, 2018 at 7:38PM
A A
4
Hove doctors’ surgery to close

Hove Park Villas GP surgery

The Greens have called for action on a shortage of family doctors in Brighton and Hove after news emerge that another local surgery is to close.

Hove Park Villas GP surgery

The party said: “Greens have repeated their call for action on GP shortages following news that another surgery in the city faces closure.

“Hove Park Villas Surgery, which has a list of 4,350 patients, could shut its doors in October 2018 due to a shortage of doctors.

“A letter from the (Brighton and Hove) Clinical Commissioning Group to local Health and Wellbeing Board chair Daniel Yates said the surgery had struggled to recruit a replacement for a retiring GP, ‘despite considerable effort’.

“Greens continue to challenge the Labour-led council to do more to address the worsening number of GPs in the city and called on Councillor Daniel Yates to detail actions taken to address the problem at a council meeting last Thursday (19 April).

“Figures obtained by Green councillor Dick Page last year revealed the city faces an estimated shortage of one GP to every 2,500 patients.”

Councillor Page, who speaks on health and wellbeing for the Greens, said: “It is important that local health leaders can reassure patients that when their retiring doctor cannot be replaced, it does not mean ongoing disruption to their care.

“However, the number of surgery closures in our city should be a matter of urgent action and concern for this Labour council.

“Greens raised the alarm on the dangerously low number of GPs in our city long ago.

“Yet the response from Labour has been to push for NHS ‘integration’ even though we know many of these new plans for the NHS are underpinned by a series of further damaging cuts instead of desperately needed investment into primary care.”

Hove Park Villas is the ninth surgery to close in Brighton and Hove since the start of 2015 – ten if branch surgeries are included.

The patient list and two of the doctors at the practice are expected to transfer to the Trinity Medical Centre, in Hove, by the end of September.

Although there is a national shortage of GPs (general practitioners), there has been a bulge in the number locally who are close to retirement age. Others have moved to better-paid posts overseas.

Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is putting together a “primary care strategy” to try to address the challenges.

Councillor Dick Page

The CCG said: “We have been notified by the partners Hove Park Villas Surgery and Trinity Medical Centre of their intention to merge and then close the Hove Park Villas Surgery site in order to provide first-rate sustainable GP services to the local community.

“This will help ensure patients get enhanced GP services, with extended opening times and broader services from more suitable premises.

“We are now working closely the GP practices and stakeholders to ensure this is done in the best possible way and are committed to ensuring patients continue to have access to services at local GP services.

“There is no need for patients registered at Hove Park Villas Surgery to do anything to get a new GP. They will be automatically taken care of as part of the merger.

“Every effort was made by the CCG to support the Hove Park Villas Surgery to continue to provide services to the local community.

“General practice services across the city are facing the same pressures that are being reported from around England.

“We have put measures in place to support them, including financial and educational support to help them run their surgeries more effectively and efficiently to free up doctors to provide more care for patients.

“A key area of our plans to improve health and social care across the city is to make sure general practice is more sustainable, more resilient and works efficiently and effectively for many years ahead.

“This will include integrating some services, with other clinical specialists like pharmacists better supporting GPs, and helping GPs work more collaboratively together.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. SamC says:
    8 years ago

    Being a GP is NOT a good job. Several local GPs have retired early in the last few years. All intended to work into their 60s but retired at 57/58 years of age. You get no prizes for doing a thankless, stressful job blighted by idiocy, and bureaucracy. In the current climate it is very difficult to practice safe medicine… so give it up, collect a slightly lower pension and enjoy a long retirement.

    Reply
  2. Tom says:
    8 years ago

    Maybe if the Green Party did not have written into their manifesto their belief in ‘no borders’, and a belief in uncontrolled-mass immigration with no limit to the amount of people coming into the UK, GP’s and the NHS in general would not be under such pressure?

    Reply
  3. Jenny Mulligan says:
    8 years ago

    Two words: Eaton Place

    Reply
  4. Nicholas says:
    8 years ago

    Labour should not be colluding with the Tories and the corporate Blairites running the NHS England quango into any of this business nonsense about “mergers”. A merger is when two companies form a separate company. This is just a dishonest way of covering up for losing services.

    Labour conference voted to oppose the systematic closures and downgrading of England’s NHS services. It seems some of the councillors need to be reminded of this pretty sharpish.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Nicholas Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Greens call for action on GP shortage in Brighton and Hove

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Met Office warns of torrential rain tomorrow

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Man jailed over Hove cannabis farm

Housing boss quit after fire safety failures, court told

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
April 2018
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News