• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Court

NHS apologises over failings in Janet Muller’s care

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 16 May, 2018 at 9:47AM
A A
2
Have you seen woman who went missing in Hove?

Janet Müller

Janet Muller

The NHS has apologised to the family of a patient who was killed after absconding from Mill View Hospital in Hove.

Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust, which runs Mill View, apologised for failings in the way in which it cared for 21-year-old Janet Muller.

Her body was found in the boot of a burning car in Ifield, near Crawley, on Friday 13 March 2015, the day after she walked out of the hospital in Hangleton.

She had been detained at Mill View after a psychotic episode and absconded twice on Thursday 12 March, the second time at about 10pm.

Her killer, Christopher Jeffrey-Shaw, 27, was found guilty of manslaughter by a jury at Guildford Crown Court in February 2016.

Later that year an independent review of deaths involving 10 Sussex Partnership patients was commissioned.

At Miss Muller’s inquest last year West Sussex coroner Penelope Schofield said that she was concerned that patients were still managing to abscond.

Today, Sussex Partnership gave an “unreserved apology” as part of the conclusion of civil proceedings begun by Miss Muller’s family.

Chief executive Sam Allen said: “On 13 March 2015, Janet Müller was unlawfully killed by Christopher Jeffrey-Shaw after absconding from Mill View Hospital the previous day, where she was detained under our care.

“I want to apologise unreservedly to Janet’s family. I have met with them and heard about the impact of their loss, as well as their experience of the criminal proceedings, coroner’s inquest and civil proceedings that followed.

”I have apologised to them in person and agreed with them I would do so again in public.

“Words of apology from me cannot bring Janet back. The awful events that happened after she absconded from our care will forever be borne by her family.

”I want to give my personal assurance that we have worked hard to address the shortcomings identified following Janet’s tragic untimely death.

”Providing the best possible care is a continuous process of improvement. This is something we treat with the utmost seriousness.

Christopher Jeffrey-Shaw

“Janet did not receive the care she should have from us. We did not recognise the extent of her desire to leave hospital, manage the risk of this happening or keep her clinical records up to date.

”We failed in our duty of care to Janet, for which I am truly sorry.

“Specifically, on the day before Janet died we did not keep her under close observation, even though she had already absconded before earlier that day.

”Following her return to the ward, we should have fully evaluated the risk of her trying to leave hospital again.

”We should then have made sure she was kept within eyesight of a member of staff at all times in order to support her and keep her safe.

“Clear and complete clinical records are a vital part of providing high-quality care. However, Janet’s clinical records – including her care plan and risk assessment – were not kept up to date while she was under our care in hospital, even after she had absconded once.

“Meeting with Janet’s family reinforced to me the need to look long and hard at how we work with, listen to and support the families of people who use our services.

”It is so important we get this right and we will continue doing everything possible to achieve this.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. SamC says:
    8 years ago

    Sadly Janet Muller is just one person who did not/does receive the care she should have from the Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust. There are too many others as well. Let’s hope some learning comes from this.

    Reply
    • rolivan says:
      8 years ago

      Unfortunately not,Apologies made,lessons learnt, the usual garbage.Why wasn’t She in an Acute Section rather than a General Ward after she ‘escaped’ the first time.Mind you I worked in a secure unit once and was told by a staff member that the only difference between the Clients as they are now referred to and the Staff was that one had a bunch of keys.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

NHS apologises over failings in Janet Muller’s care

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
May 2018
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News