• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

New images of Sea Lanes open air swimming pool revealed

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 14 Jun, 2018 at 12:01AM
A A
4
New images of Sea Lanes open air swimming pool revealed

New artist’s impressions of the revised plan for an open air pool on Brighton seafront which it’s hoped will be open by next spring have been unveiled today.

The images form part of Sea Lanes Brighton Ltd’s planning application for the Madeira Drive site, for which they renegotiated a shorter, five-year lease last year following uncertainty over the future of the Madeira Terraces.

It was then hoped the temporary pool would be open by this November – but that ambitious opening date has now been pushed back until spring, subject to the plans being approved.

The 25m pool and 39 accompanying commercial units will be built on the former Peter Pan playground site, next to Yellowave and opposite Concorde 2. A pop up will open on the site later this month featuring an endless pool (a small pool with a wave machine for swimmers to swim against), sauna and open-air event space featuring events such as silent yoga disco.

Simon Murie, Managing Director, of Swim Trek, the company driving the project, said: “Swim Trek is delighted to be part of the Sea Lanes project reigniting our sea swimming history; it is a wonderful opportunity to shine a light on open water swimming, the fastest growing sport in the UK and we look forward to having the team here.

“We believe the Sea Lanes development will bring back to the forefront the rich swimming history that made Brighton and Hove the destination for tourists in the 19th Century.

“Using modular construction and meanwhile use, we will resurrect this much-loved part of the city and offer the local community and tourists a destination that captures the spirit of Brighton, past and present.”

Rich Brett, creative director of We Like Today, the team behind the proposal design, said: “Drawing on Brighton’s rich and colourful history and dazzling disregard for conformity, Sea Lanes meanwhile scheme can help revitalise the present and shape the future of Madeira Drive. Definitely and defiantly. This is the city with the natural edge.”

The pool, which will be accessible to all, is intended to act as a gateway for those looking to gain confidence to swim in the sea as well as a training hub for open water swimming events, triathlon, sea safety and lifeguard courses.

The small business units are suitable for retail, health and fitness, office space as well as a food court with street food kiosks and seating area.

The plans also include a new purpose-built headquarters for the SwimTrek, which also runs adventure swimming holidays.

As well as SwimTrek, Sea Lanes Brighton Ltd includes members of the Brighton Sea Swimming Club, Copsemill Properties and QED Sustainable Urban Developments.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Valerie says:
    8 years ago

    OH NOOOOOOO!!!!! Their original plan was gorgeous. This is the cheapest and nastiest trashiest thing I have ever seen. How COULD they!? That visual noise is vile.

    Reply
  2. Sam says:
    8 years ago

    Looks fantastic.

    Reply
  3. LordHowItHurtz says:
    8 years ago

    FFS -its not what was originally planned. Cheap, nasty and a tiny 25 m pool.

    Reply
  4. Andrew says:
    8 years ago

    If it is only for 5 years, then why not put it on Black Rock whilst awaiting the conference centre development and revitalise the current eyesore site.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

New images of Sea Lanes open air swimming pool revealed

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News