• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Crowdfunder under way for family of Brighton hospital patient who died after drinking cleaning fluid

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 14 Jul, 2018 at 9:13PM
A A
2
Crowdfunder under way for family of Brighton hospital patient who died after drinking cleaning fluid

Joan Blaber

The family of a Brighton hospital patient who died after drinking cleaning fluid has started a crowdfunding appeal to pay for legal representation at her inquest.

Joan Blaber, 85, from Lewes, died at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton, in September last year.

Joan Blaber

Her family, Gary and Sandra Blaber and Rosemary Bird, are trying to raise enough money to pay for a barrister to represent them at the inquest into her death which is due to take place in September.

The hospital has accepted liability and will instruct a barrister itself but will not fund someone to represent Mrs Blaber and her family.

The family’s concern is that the inquest – and the legal rules governing the process of holding an inquest – can be “very daunting and upsetting”.

They said: “We need help from a barrister to be a voice for the family to give us the best chance to ensure that all the issues are explored properly at the forthcoming inquest.

“We hope that the inquest will help us to uncover exactly how a mistake with such catastrophic consequences could have happened and to hold the hospital to account.”

On their crowdfunding page they said: “Who are we? We are the family of Joan Blaber. Joan was our dear 85-year-old mum and sister who died in the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, on 23 September 2017.

“In August 2017 Joan had been admitted to hospital having suffered a mild stroke. She was recovering well and was waiting to be discharged.

“On 17 September 2017 we received a call from the hospital informing us that somehow Joan had been given cleaning fluid to drink to take her medication with, poured from a jug that had been placed on her bedside table.

“Six days later tragically Joan died.

“The coroner investigating the circumstances of Joan’s death has decided to hold an inquest with a jury because she has said it appears that the hospital has failed to put in place a safe system for dealing with dangerous and potentially life-threatening hazardous substances.

“There may also have been other failings in Joan’s hospital care before this.

“Nine months on from Joan’s death and we still don’t know how or why Joan came to be given cleaning fluid to take her medication.

“She didn’t have dementia (as it has widely been assumed in earlier press reports).

“The Care Quality Commission visited the hospital a month after Joan’s death and published a damning report in May 2018 which concluded that there were serious failings on the part of the hospital in the safe use and storage of hazardous substances.

“Staff had not been properly trained.

“At a pre-inquest review hearing in April 2018 the coroner sought assurances from the hospital’s legal team as to what measures and safeguards had been put in place to try to ensure that this type of tragic mistake could not happen again.

“The hospital’s legal team told the coroner that the cleaning fluid had been removed from use in the hospital trust (as they said it only gave a cosmetic appearance of cleanliness anyway).

“It was discovered at a subsequent hearing before the coroner in June 2018 that the hospital had in fact started re-using the same cleaning fluid again in March 2018 – despite the assurances they had given to the court in April 2018 and they did not tell any of the relevant authorities or the coroner that they had re-introduced this.

“Although the hospital’s lawyers have admitted full responsibility for causing Joan’s death, they have refused to pay for the family to be legally represented at the inquest due to start in September 2018.

“The hospital trust will be legally represented by a barrister, effectively paid from your taxes.

“We already find the inquest and legal process very daunting and upsetting and we need help from a barrister to be a voice for the family to give us the best chance to ensure that all the issues are explored properly at the forthcoming Inquest.

“We hope that the inquest will help us to uncover exactly how a mistake with such catastrophic consequences could have happened and to hold the hospital to account

“We ask that you help us to achieve our goal, to obtain justice for Joan and, more importantly, to try and ensure that another family never has to suffer this type of tragedy again.

“How much are we raising and why? The inquest is expected to last up to two weeks and legal fees are currently anticipated to be in the region of £25,000.

“We are represented by Jonathan Austen-Jones from Healys LLP, solicitors in Brighton, but Healys can only continue to represent us at the inquest if we have sufficient funding in place and to pay for a barrister to represent us at the inquest.”

To donate, click here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. rolivan says:
    8 years ago

    Surely if the Hospital have accepted liability a Barrister should be able to take it on knowing they will get paid on conclusion.

    Reply
  2. Jean Smith says:
    8 years ago

    It’s shabby treatment!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Crowdfunder under way for family of Brighton hospital patient who died after drinking cleaning fluid

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
July 2018
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News