• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Babes in the Wood families share their grief and relief as justice is done

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 11 Dec, 2018 at 10:21PM
A A
0
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

The anguished father of one of the Babes in the Wood victims has broken down as he described the horror of being wrongly accused of murder, saying: “What have I done? All I have done is lost my little girl.”

Barrie Fellows, 69, spoke out after Russell Bishop was finally found guilty of the murders of two nine-year-old girls after 32 years.

During his Old Bailey trial, Bishop’s barrister accused Mr Fellows of being complicit in the sexual abuse and death of his daughter Nicola.

On facing the accusations in the witness box, Mr Fellows said: “It’s the worst thing that can ever happen to anyone. You sit or stand there and you take so much crap off one person through his barrister. He had no evidence, none whatsoever.

“I just wanted to jump out that box and get him but I’m told I have to keep my cool.

“Thirty years ago he would not be living now.”

Mr Fellows described the “indignity” of being arrested by police when they first looked into the accusations by Bishop’s teenage ex-girlfriend.

Crying, he said: “Why me? What have I done. All I have done is lost my little girl.”

He described Nicky as his little “nursemaid” when he suffered epilepsy, saying: “She was dotty over me and I was dotty over her.”

When he heard the guilty verdict, Mr Fellows had to leave court. He said: “It’s hard to comprehend that we finally got him. We got him bang to rights as well.”

Asked if he ever harboured doubts that the day would come, he said: “None whatsoever. The man is a complete pig. He does not even deserve to breathe the air we breathe.”

Murder victims Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

Karen’s father Lee Hadaway never got over the shock of identifying the body of his daughter and died before he could see Bishop brought to justice.

Her mother Michelle Hadaway, 61, said: “He was away working at the time and he heard his daughter had been murdered on the radio.

“On Saturday 11 October he had to go to Brighton mortuary to identify his daughter. She was our first born and the apple of his eye.

“He went in to that mortuary the man I loved and adored and would do anything for and he came out a complete stranger.

“I could never get him back. My children have never had the dad he was, although his love for them never waned.

“He could never get over what Bishop done to his little girl. It destroyed him.”

She spoke of her relief at the guilty verdict, saying: “I lost my heart a long time ago and I was waiting for it to come back.”

Since Bishop was first acquitted, she never quite believed there was a chance of seeing him face justice throughout the campaign to get the double jeopardy law passed.

She said it was a “hard, long, sad” fight while also trying to raise her other young children.

Mrs Hadaway described Bishop as a “coward without a conscience” and an “evil paedophile”, who could not even go to court to face up to his guilty verdict.

She added: “I knew he was not innocent. When he was found not guilty in 1987 I knew he would strike again.”

Sue Eismann, Nicola’s mother, also lost her son Jonathan, just weeks before the double jeopardy trial started.

He desperately wanted to be there for his sister and felt somehow “responsible” because they had a “tiff” while out playing earlier on the day she was killed, she said.

Mrs Eismann, 69, formerly known as Fellows, said that she never really thought Bishop would be found guilty and added: “I just thought we are going to get the wrong verdict again like we did in 1987.”

On her daughter’s killer, she said: “I hated the sight of him and I hope he deserves what he gets when it comes to sentence.”

Nicola and Karen were like “chalk and cheese”, she said: “I just want to remember how she was when she was playing outside. Happy, laughing and the next minute – gone.”

She added: “I would not wish this on any parent. I had two children and lost two children.”

Emily Pennink interviewed family members as the representative of the media under a “pool” arrangement.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Babes in the Wood families share their grief and relief as justice is done

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
December 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News