• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton to have year-round night shelter for rough sleepers

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 6 Feb, 2019 at 3:01PM
A A
2
Generous Brightonians urged to give to homeless charities rather than rough sleepers

Brighton is to have a year-round night shelter for rough sleepers, if a funding proposal by the council’s ruling Labour group wins approval.

Labour council leader Daniel Yates said that £250,000 would be spent on the plans, subject to a vote later this month.

The all-year round night shelter would be in addition to the winter night shelter at the Brighton Centre and the severe weather night shelter, known as the SWEP, at nearby Wagner Hall.

Councillor Yates said that extra cash had also been found to protect service to help people affected by domestic violence.

A saving of £50,000 had been proposed when the 2019-20 budget proposals for Brighton and Hove City Council were originally published

The council leader said that the proposed saving had been withdrawn from the council’s draft budget.

And £75,000 would go towards developing a local “cycling and walking infrastructure plan to support necessary projects, improve the network and promote active travel”.

All the proposals are due to be debated on Thursday 28 February at the annual budget meeting at Hove Town Hall.

Before then, a committee of senior councillors – the Policy, Resources and Growth Committee – is expected to discuss the revised budget proposals. The committee is scheduled to meet at Hove Town Hall on Thursday 14 February.

The council said: “The proposals include an update on the financial position now more information is available about the year-end finances and the local government settlement (from the government) is confirmed.”

Councillor Yates said: “We’re in a strong financial position at the end of our four-year budget cycle. We can now improve on our initial budget proposals and provide more for the city.

Councillor Daniel Yates

“There is an additional £375,000 in these proposals due to careful financial management.

“We’ve planned further ahead than many other councils around the country and we’ve been able to protect more services than elsewhere as a result.

“We’re taking a compassionate approach to the needs of the city during this uncertain economic time and we will continue to do so.”

When the budget is set, council tax in Brighton and Hove is expected to rise by 2.99 per cent. This is the highest rise that the council is able to impose for 2019-20 without the need for a local referendum.

The bill for a band D home is expected to go up almost £54 a year from April – or just over £1 a week – from £1,805.98 to £1859.98.

Councillor Yates blamed the need for the increase on continuing cuts to the government grants that previously paid for much of the work carried out by councils.

He said that the council would receive just over £14 million in “revenue support grant” – down about £7 million since last year and by an estimated £40 million in four years.

Over that four-year period the council has had to make savings or find extra money to make up a £111 million shortfall caused by a rising demand for services, higher costs and loss of income.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Ste Frost says:
    8 years ago

    Great news. I hope people aren’t too busy complaining about the tax increase the council has no choice but to implement to offset the huge cuts to local councils by central government. We need services and they have to be funded. If you don’t like council tax increases, please direct the blame at central government, which has just announced even more funding cuts to local councils (hitting Labour councils the hardest so they can use such council tax increases against them).

    Reply
    • Rolivan says:
      8 years ago

      Does that mean lots. Of funding will come the Councils way after May?

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton to have year-round night shelter for rough sleepers

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
February 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News