• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Jury clears Shoreham air show pilot of manslaughter

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 8 Mar, 2019 at 11:19AM
A A
1
Shoreham air crash pilot interviewed by police

Andy Hill

Andy Hill

A jury has cleared pilot Andrew Hill of 11 counts of manslaughter at the Shoreham air show.

Hill crashed during an aerobatic display at the air show, killing 11 men – six of them from Brighton and Hove.

He was found not guilty by a jury at the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – in London this morning (Friday 8 March).

After the case he said that he was “truly sorry” for the crash and the deaths but relatives of the survivors were angry and upset and felt that they had been denied justice.

Hill had been performing a loop when his vintage Hawker Hunter jet crashed on to the A27 and exploded into a fireball.

Survivors ran for their lives, with some suffering severe burns as they were caught in the crash on Saturday 22 August 2015.

Hill miraculously survived after being thrown clear of the burning wreckage.

He was flown to hospital with life-threatening injuries where he was placed in an induced coma. He was discharged a month later.

The prosecutor Tom Kark said that the former RAF and British Airways pilot had been flying too low and too slow as he attempted the disastrous stunt.

Mr Kark said that 54-year-old Hill had at times shown a cavalier attitude to safety and had a history of taking risks, having played “fast and loose” with the rules in the past.

But the former flying instructor said that he had blacked out in the air, having experienced “cognitive impairment” brought on by hypoxia, possibly because of the effects of G-force.

Hill, of Sandon Road, Sandon, Buntingford, Hertfordshire, denied 11 counts of manslaughter by gross negligence and has now been formally acquitted.

The 11 men who died were

Maurice Abrahams, 76, of Brighton

Dylan Archer, 42, of Brighton

Tony Brightwell, 53, of Hove

Matt Grimstone, 23, of Brighton

Matt Jones, 24, of Littlehampton

Graham Mallinson, 72, of Newick

Daniele Polito, 23, of Goring

Mark Reeves, 53, of Seaford

Jacob Schilt, 23, of Brighton

Richard Smith, 26, of Hove

Mark Trussler, 54, of Worthing

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Gilbert Bligh says:
    7 years ago

    Unless there are other things that I’m not aware of – what a terrible decision. The fact – on it’s own – that he carried out that manoeuvre over that road makes him guilty of manslaughter at the very least in my opinion.
    The length of time taken to bring this to court since then is also atrocious.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

New bus route to start next month

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Jury clears Shoreham air show pilot of manslaughter

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News