• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Event organisers slate consultation over Valley Gardens

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 19 Mar, 2019 at 8:55PM
A A
0
Brighton Lib Dem candidate criticises ‘flawed’ Valley Gardens scheme

Representatives of event organisers and businesses in central Brighton were outraged when told that they had been consulted about changes to the layout of the Valley Gardens area.

One of them told councillors that they were being kept in the dark with less than two months before the Brighton Festival and Fringe get under way.

Uncertainty and lack of consultation were hampering their efforts to put on some of Brighton’s best-known events and set up key temporary venues.

Their concerns prompted Conservative and Green councillors to call for regular updates on the Valley Gardens revamp.

The project involves changing the road layout from St Peter’s Church to the Palace Pier, with aims that include creating a new park.

The scheme is causing controversy as the work currently under way and further planned changes to the layout of the area threaten the future of some events.

Two lobby groups have formed to fight for changes to the project, with the Valley Gardens Forum representing businesses and residents in the Old Steine area and the Brighton Events Group speaking for the likes of Pride.

Ian Baird, of Whisky Bravo Productions, addressed members of Brighton and Hove City Council on behalf of the Brighton Events Group this afternoon (Tuesday 19 March).

The group numbers the Brighton Fringe,  Brighton Spiegeltent, Pride Pleasure Gardens and the Japan Festival among its members.

He said that organisers are struggling because of the current works around St Peter’s Church.

This year The Warren, a Brighton Fringe venue, has moved from the grounds of St Peter’s Church to Victoria Gardens while the Ladyboys of Bangkok has moved from the gardens to Hove Lawns.

In a presentation to the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee at Hove Town Hall, Mr Baird said that events take months to organise yet cultural leaders feel left in the dark.

He said: “As things stand, organisers have no reliable knowledge of their future which is of grave concern to them and could be devastating for not just them, their contractors, suppliers, staff and performers but for the city’s entire cultural offering and status as a world-class destination.

“In previous committees concern has been expressed regarding the preservation of – and provision for – space and infrastructure to accommodate outdoor events in Valley Gardens such as the Brighton Fringe sites, Pride Pleasure Gardens and others.

“The events sector was a significant part of the business case to the LEP (local enterprise partnership) and assurances have been given by the administration that the Valley Gardens scheme will be designed to accommodate outdoor events.

“However, there is concern that event organisers are not being suitably consulted for input and feedback on proposed or amended designs as the project is developed.”

Councillors heard that as recently as last Tuesday (12 March) the Brighton Fringe was waiting or information about arrangements for this year’s event.

Event organisers asked for safe HGV access, hardstanding areas, three phase power, mains water supply, access to waste water, removable street furniture and landscaping to allow for the flexible use of green space along the valley.

Mr Baird added: “Events of this scale take many months in the planning and organisers have an unreasonable level of uncertainty over events that start in little over seven weeks’ time – and virtually no idea where they will stand in 2020 and beyond.”

There was outrage from the public gallery when Councillor Gill Mitchell, who chairs the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee, said: “All the relevant people have been spoken to and worked with and given the information as far as we have been able to give it.”

The council’s executive director for the economy, environment and culture Nick Hibberd told the committee that he had  been talking with Brighton Fringe chief executive Julian Caddy and was committed to supporting the Fringe and making the area safe.

Green councillor Pete West said: “Do not keep it quiet. We need to see what is going on.”

Conservative councillor Lee Wares said: “I hear you say people are involved. Our public gallery is packed with people who are stakeholders.

“When you say they are involved they are screaming at us they are not. It is not working.”

Councillors Wares and West jointly asked for a report to come back to the next committee with updates as required as the project progresses.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Event organisers slate consultation over Valley Gardens

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News