• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Calls for more police presence after spate of Hove burglaries

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 27 Jun, 2019 at 11:38AM
A A
2
Rogue scaffolder prosecuted for fourth time

A still from the Asiana CCTV

A still from the Asiana CCTV

Calls have been made for increased patrols around Portland Road following a spate of break-ins at independent shops and cafes.

At least four premises in the road have been targeted in the last few weeks, and more are thought to have taken place in the surrounding area.

In most cases, a window has been smashed and tills and cash boxes and even charity tins have been taken.

In the latest break-in, at the Chinese supermarket Asiana, two people were caught on CCTV inside the shop and a baseball cap was left behind.

Now, ward councillor Chris Henry, who is also Hove MP Peter Kyle’s director of operations, has called for more police presence in the area.

Councillor Henry said: “All these little independent places have been targeted.

“It branches out towards Old Shoreham Road but they’re obviously targeting these smaller places.

“The rewards are so little – they are stealing a bit of cash, but the costs to these businesses is so much higher.

“Peter Kyle has written to the new Brighton and Hove district commander Nick May and requested to speak to him about the spate of incidents in Portland Road and to put more resources in this area.”

A still from the Asiana CCTV

Linda Lai from Asiana said: “Suddenly a lot of people in the area have been burgled.

“We think in the past three months, five shops in Portland Road have been broken into.

“It’s quite scary

“The robber left his hat and I asked the police would you like it as evidence. They came and took the hat but not the CCTV.

“They didn’t take much – they took the till which had about £20 or £30 in and the charity box.”

Katie Humphries of Tea Leaf cafe said they were broken into in early spring.

She said: “It was part of this spate of break-ins. They took about £200 in cash. They broke in through the front window and stole the cash box which I had put away.

“They left the tips though, which were next to the cash box, and the charity box.

“I don’t know if it’s the same people – they’re all coming in through the window.”

Cafe Monella was broken into earlier this month, and the Flour Pot Cafe within weeks of its opening last month.

A police spokesman said: “We have a record of a burglary at Cafe Monella in Old Shoreham Road, Hove, overnight on 12-13 June in which an empty till tray was stolen, and a burglary at Asiana in Portland Road, Hove, overnight on 23-24 June in which cash and a laptop were stolen.

“No connection has been established between the burglaries.

“Anyone with information can contact the police online at https://www.sussex.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us/ or by calling 101, quoting serial 96 of 13/06 for the first burglary and serial 205 of 24/06 for the second incident.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. George Coombs says:
    7 years ago

    Good. I live in the surrounding areas and have been saying for some time that it is underpoliced. I am glad peter Kyle has taken the initiative he has. I am well aware of the pressures the police are under but do feel more a more visible police is long overdue

    Reply
  2. Chris B says:
    7 years ago

    There are more traffic wardens than police on the streets – I think this speaks for itself! This has to change, its a disgrace and we the public are paying for it on many levels!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Calls for more police presence after spate of Hove burglaries

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
June 2019
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News