• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Half of Brighton and Hove’s crown courtrooms sit idle

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 20 Aug, 2019 at 5:17PM
A A
2
One parking warden is attacked or abused every week in Brighton and Hove

Brighton Magistrates' Court

Half of the crown courtrooms in Brighton and Hove sat empty today and yesterday – in line with an informal poll carried out by a senior lawyer.

Hove Crown Court

The poll – carried out in response to an exasperated message on social media – found that almost half of 260 available courtrooms in crown courts nationally were not in use yesterday (Monday 19 August).

Judges were sitting in three of the four courtrooms that are usually in use at Lewes Crown Court, which also takes cases from Brighton and Hove.

And at Brighton and Hove Magistrates’ Court, in Edward Street, Brighton, there were sittings in only three courtrooms – courtroom 1, courtroom 2 and courtroom 11.

The story about the empty courts was published by the Law Society Gazette after criminal barrister Jonathan Dunne responded on Twitter to fellow barrister James Mulholland.

Mr Mulholland, a Queen’s Counsel (QC), tweeted: “Twelve out of 15 courts at Southwark Crown Court are not sitting during the entire week of 19/8.

“Prosecutions are at their lowest level since statistics began.

“You don’t stop criminals with rhetoric but by supplying the necessary funding to ensure they are tried in court and convicted.”

Mr Dunne replied: “Only 2 out of 6 courts are sitting in Leicester Crown Court next week, and they are doing part heard trials … It’s all falling about our ears. @BorisJohnson you need to wake up.”

He then asked fellow barristers and court users on Twitter to share their knowledge of local circumstances to build up a nationwide picture.

The response – and the criticisms of the way that the justice system is funded – came thick and fast.

12 out of 15 courts at Southwark Crown Court are not sitting during the entire week of 19/8. Prosecutions are at their lowest level since statistics began. You don’t stop criminals with rhetoric but by supplying the necessary funding to ensure they are tried in court & convicted.

— James Mulholland QC (@muljam23) August 16, 2019

Mr Dunne told the Law Society Gazette: “I honestly thought across the country I would find 25 per cent of courts (sitting idle) given we’re in the holiday season and August is reasonably quiet. But it’s been consistently 50 per cent.”

Among the comments that he made and received were criticisms of the government for spinning a line that was odds with the reality.

Only 2 out of 6 courts are sitting in Leicester Crown Court next week, and they are doing part heard trials. Late on Friday they took out 13 PTPHs and 3 listed trials. It’s all falling about our ears. @BorisJohnson you need to wake up.

— Jonathan Dunne (@DunneJonathan) August 17, 2019

The comments came against the backdrop of a number of law and order announcements by Boris Johnson since he became Prime Minister last month.

He said that he would “come down hard on crime”, extend police powers to stop and search people and bring in tougher prison sentences.

Mr Johnson also said that he wanted criminals to be afraid, rather than the public.

He pledged to spend £2.5 billion on 10,000 new prison places and promised to recruit an extra 20,000 police officers in the next three years.

Brighton Magistrates’ Court

The Law Society Gazette quoted Chris Henley, who chairs the Criminal Bar Association, saying that the latest figures were not unique to August.

He said: “There is a deliberate and aggressive squeeze on court capacity by the government to save money.

“Judges are being told to stay at home or take extra holidays on full pay because so many courtrooms are shut.

“This is nothing to do with a lack of work. Cases are being listed well into next year because of the squeeze on capacity.”

In Lewes, Brighton and Hove crown courts, contested cases involving more than one defendant tend to take longer to reach trial.

While few might pity a guilty defendant having to wait for justice, victims – and the innocent accused – are more likely to be aggrieved by the wait.

Time spent in prison on remand – while awaiting trial – is deducted from any sentence which has also been known to leave victims feeling cheated by the system.

Lewes Crown Court

The Law Society Gazette said that courts were “allocated sitting days” and quoted Mr Henley as saying that allocations had been cut by up to a third in many court centres over the past two years.

According to the Gazette, the Law Society’s vice president David Greene said that the Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) had been directing work from some courts to others.

He said: “This has led to many courts standing idle while others are overbooked. HMCTS has also reduced the number of days it will pay for sitting judges.

“We call on HMCTS to communicate clearly and transparently as to why so many courts appear to be underutilised.”

And Richard Atkins, chair of the Bar Council, was quoted as saying that the figures were a “devastating blow to those victims of crime who are waiting for their cases to come to court or who are waiting for justice to be done to those who have admitted committing crimes against them”.

Presicesly. And there are some really horrendous cases where defendants are on bail. Sex assaults on young children by family members for example. Trial dates being set for next summer where the victims are very young indeed. I kid you not.

— Jonathan Dunne (@DunneJonathan) August 18, 2019

According to the Gazette, the Courts and Tribunals Service said: “There is no shortage of judges in the crown court and sitting day requirements and waiting times are reviewed throughout the year, with additional recorders deployed according to demand.

“Last year saw a 12 per cent reduction in crown court trial cases and the allocation of sitting days reflects this. Waiting times for these cases are the shortest since 2014.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Chris says:
    7 years ago

    Sorry (not really), but I feel a bit of a rant coming on.

    The standard comment/excuse on why something isn’t happening now seems to be lack of funding. How much of this lack is down to excessive expectations or demands for high salaries? As someone who has lived quite comfortably on a modest pension for nearly 20 years I find reports of the high wages being paid rather disturbing. Are people just greedy, what do they spend £75K+ a year on? It’s not surprising that the earth is running out of resources if we’re all wasting them on “keeping up”. For example, why do people have food to throw away – just stop buying and preparing so much. Why are so many clothes thrown out with very little wear – if you like it, wear it and get your money’s worth and justify buying it.

    I know my comments over simplify the situation but my question remains – do high wage bills prevent things happening and can we do anything about it, or is the situation out of control?

    Reply
  2. Jon Horley says:
    7 years ago

    A long time ago, judges et al made the rounds via horse and carriage – hence the term “circuit judge”. Some sentences were handed down in hostelries in the more rural areas. What’s the problem with returning to this system, perhaps updating it with modest cars or taxis? There isn’t a need for formal courts when the crimes are relatively modest. Appearance in the local town hall, police station, even community hall, is quite enough for low class crims. You’re given sentences like community service, probation, fines, and off you go, the judge picks up his paperwork, onto the next town, five days a week like any normal job. No need for formal court appearances except for the nastier, more complex cases. In fact, l can’t see why the lesser evils can’t be dealt with by clerks using standard rules and set punishments.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Half of Brighton and Hove’s crown courtrooms sit idle

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
August 2019
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News