Madeira Terrace added to ‘Heritage at Risk Register’ for first time

Posted On 15 Oct 2020 at 12:02 am

Historic England has included the Madeira Terraces in its Heritage At Risk Register for the first time today (Thursday 15 October).

Brighton and Hove City Council, which is responsible for the Victorian structure, said: “The grade II* listed Madeira Terrace, Madeira Walk, lift tower and related buildings have been added to Historic England’s register of Heritage at Risk for 2020.

“The news has been welcomed by the council as recognition of the area’s unique character. In addition, the ‘at risk’ status can be beneficial when making bids for funding.

“Both the Royal Pavilion Gardens and Stanmer Park attracted funding following their inclusion on the ‘at risk’ register.

“Last year, Historic England reviewed the listing of Madeira Terrace. After careful consideration, its listed status was upgraded from grade II to grade II* on account of the structure’s historic and architectural importance.

“The elevated listing meant that Madeira Terrace could be considered for inclusion on the ‘Heritage at Risk Register’ for the first time.

“The council was keen to illustrate how Madeira Terrace is a special and unusual piece of seafront heritage which gives unique character to the eastern seafront of Brighton and Hove.

“Following an assessment visit, Heritage England wrote to the council confirming their decision to include Madeira Terrace, Madeira Walk, lift tower and related buildings on the ‘Heritage at Risk Register’.”

The letter said: “Inclusion of a building is not a criticism of those responsible for the building. Rather, it is an indication that those who are caring for an important part of the country’s heritage are facing significant challenges which may require more resources than they can find locally.

“The aim of the register is to keep attention focused on these buildings, to act as a working tool to help define the scale of the problem and to prioritise action by Historic England, local authorities, funding bodies and others who can play a part in making these irreplaceable buildings safe and sustainable for future generations.”

The council added: “Historic England has also offered to lend its support for the council’s restoration plans.”

Councillor Clare Rainey

Green councillor Clare Rainey, lead member for the Madeira Terrace Project Board, said: “We are pleased Historic England has recognised the unique and special character of Madeira Terrace and surrounding buildings and the urgent need for its restoration.

“We remain committed to restoring Madeira Terrace and the message from Historic England is that we must act as swiftly as possible to protect this precious asset.

“This is why cross-party support was given to appointing a design team in 2019. This team is now making preparations for the first phase of restoration.

“The ‘at risk’ status will help us to explore relevant funding opportunities to restore the whole of Madeira Terrace for future generations.”

  1. Richard Reply

    Bhcc in a nutshell. Lack of foresight. Lack of planning and lack of people taking responsibility for their own failings.
    I fail to see how when a structure you are responsable for ends up in an absolute state of decay, it is not your fault.

    • Fishwife, 49 Reply

      “Lack” of money” would probably sit in there somewhere.

      • Rolivan Reply

        They have at least £50m in the Reserve Account and with a proper Business Plan the proposed units would more than help fund future maintenance.If they can get a Business plan for the i360 put through with a Government Loan then with funding and money already raised it should be a lot easier than is being made out.The can has been kicked down the The Drive for far too long.

        • Derek Wright Reply

          There are no proposed units , it will be restored as it is now. Having more events is the business plan. Details on B&H website

          • Rolivan

            I am sure i have read about proposed units somewhere.The area under the Terraces were not used much but could be turned into great retail units.This area of the Seafront only gets large nombers on Event days.As has been suggested a great place for Market Stalls.

    • Chris Reply

      I have to agree with Richard. Successive councils have allowed this to be ignored so through lack of maintenance it is now in need to substantial repair/restoration. A false economy in the long run. If however it does actually get restored will there be the budget to maintain it ? Or will we be looking back years later at another colossal bill ?

      • Derek Wright Reply

        Read all about it on B&H website to answer all your questions

    • Derek Wright Reply

      Its the way the structure was built nothing to do with councils blame the Victorians for not using expansion joints and using cement and iron together in a salty atmosphere . Read all about it on B&H website

  2. Nathan Adler Reply

    Totally successive councils fault, and the lack of planning and investment will cost more in the long run. Brighton Palace Pier is 120 years old and made of iron but because it has invested year on year with the iron and steel work it is still in great shape. I hope they start work on this ASAP

  3. Adam Campbell Reply

    One of the myriad reasons we left Brighton after 40 years, The sheer decay and waste that has been allowed to flourish is apparent to all the specially the visitors. Amateurs like Jason Kitcat and Phelim Mac Cafferty are just not up to the job. Sack Jeff Raw while you are at it.

Leave a Reply to Derek Wright Cancel reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.