• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Neighbours battle revised plan for a row of eight homes

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 28 Nov, 2024 at 12:05AM
A A
3
Homes planned for backstreet site in Brighton fall foul of planners

The entrance to the backyard site by Lincoln Cottages in the Hanover area of Brighton

Plans to build eight homes on a backstreet site are due to go before councillors next week.

Burlington Property Group already has planning permission to build eight townhouses and a bungalow at 15-26 Lincoln Cottages, Brighton, after winning an appeal.

In August last year, Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee refused the application for nine homes but a government planning inspector backed the scheme.

Now, councillors are advised to be “minded to grant” the latest application for eight three-storey homes, subject to agreeing terms for the site occupied by workshops and garages.

A landscaped area with trees and a pond would replace the previously planned bungalow.

Neighbours have sent 96 letters objecting to the proposals. A group of 62 residents have worked with a planning consultancy to set out their objections.

They are concerned about overdevelopment of the site, lost employment space, the design and appearance of the scheme and the effects on traffic and transport.

One anonymous objector, whose details were redacted by the council, said: “If the price for us to have a little communal garden is that there will be no payment by the developers to provide affordable housing for the least well-off in our society, then as far as I’m concerned, it’s not worth it.“

But I am hopeful that the (district valuer) will be able to persuade the developers that they will be able to afford a proper contribution to the affordable housing fund and still make a great profit.”

The draft terms suggest a financial contribution of £112,000 for affordable housing elsewhere in Brighton and Hove.

Another anonymous objector said: “Hanover is already short on parking spaces for residents who pay a lot of money to park within this area.

“There simply is not the availability for potentially 18 extra vehicles especially given that we do not see a traffic warden here after 6pm even though our permits run until 8pm.

“After 6pm we are inundated with cars that do not have permits but the owners know they are unlikely to be ticketed and hence take the risk.”

There were also seven letters in support of the application. One anonymous supporter said: “I believe that this latest amended plan represents a significant improvement on the original plan.

“In particular, the removal of the bungalow and its replacement with a community garden, the inclusion of access strips to recognise the historic access by residents to the back of their existing properties and the revision of the bin store arrangements are all welcome changes.”

Another anonymous supporter said: “This amended second application before us now offers the benefit of replacing the bungalow with a community garden which will be an enhancement to the area and be very much welcomed.

“We also welcome that the inclusion a strip of land around the site means that the continuing access that has been enjoyed historically by existing residents over their garden walls has been preserved.”

The Planning Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall at 2pm next Wednesday (4 December). The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Benjamin says:
    1 year ago

    So the choices are approve the plan, and get some money to spend on improving other parts of the area; or reject the plan, it goes ahead anyway, and don’t get some money to spend on improving other parts of the area?

    That…does not sound like a tricky decision.

    Reply
  2. Frazer Streames says:
    1 year ago

    People are against building on green belt, agricultural farmland and now brownfield sites. Garages are largely redundant, where people have one integrally it’s likely to be used for storage or converted to housing use. We are against building on sites where people are reliant on cars as there’s no public transport. So where would new houses go? The answer generally seems to be NIMBY.

    Reply
  3. Jon says:
    1 year ago

    All the demolished buildings and materials for eight town houses have to transported down a 1.8m wide lane. (see photo) As trucks won’t fit all the stuff has to be shifted by forklifts etc from HGVs which reverse into Lincoln Cottages from Lincoln Street a narrow one way road.
    Basically for 12 months the residents of Lincoln Cottages will live in a construction site. They’ll have to put parking restrictions in get access for the trucks.
    Whenever there are new developments residents are affected but this seems well beyond reasonable. They get absolutely nothing for it except a community garden the size of a bungalow.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Jon Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Neighbours battle revised plan for a row of eight homes

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Suspected stalker charged with threatening to burn down woman’s home

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2024
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News