• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Hove

Pizza parlour’s plans for 4am opening come under fire

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Tuesday 5 Aug, 2025 at 3:30PM
A A
0
Pizza parlour’s plans for 4am opening come under fire

A new pizza restaurant’s plans to open until 4am every day could lead to more noise, crime and public nuisance, police told councillors.

Perfect Pizza Place Limited [corr] applied for a late-night refreshment licence for Hove Pizza Plaice [corr] at 162 Portland Road, Hove, with opening hours from 11am to 4am daily.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s licensing department and environmental protection team and Sussex Police opposed the application, prompting a hearing before three councillors.

Council policy is to restrict new late-night food licences to midnight outside the citay centre.

The company owned by Sankar Sengottian, 43 and Moham Palanisamy, 37, did not apply to sell alcohol.

During the hearing on Friday 1 August, police licensing officer Hannah Staplehurst said in the last year there were 283 crimes along Portland Road and neighbouring side roads within a quarter of a mile of the business, 73 of which were violent crimes.

Ms Staplehurst said: “With an area already experiencing a high number of incidents, which occur mostly throughout the day, permitting a premises to be open into the night-time economy is likely to increase incidents in the locality.

“There are already a number of premises which trade along Portland Road, varying between pubs, off licences and food-led premises.”

Sussex Police fear offering food and soft drinks late into the night encourages people who may be drunk to remain in the area. She added that there were no details on how the business would manage deliveries.

The force wanted the application refused, but offered draft conditions that the business would offer deliveries only after 11pm until 1am.

Environmental protection officer Chinwe Ihemefor [corr] said the department opposed the application as late-night cooking would generate noise, particularly the extraction system.

She said on Monday, 17 February the department received a complaint about “non-stop noise” from machines and equipment causing the walls to vibrate.

A warning letter was sent to the business, requiring evidence the ventilation system was adequate and well-maintained.

The business was also required to prove it was taking action to reduce noise and vibration from its pizza oven.

Mr Sengottian said they had installed dampeners and are cleaning the extractor fan weekly, but Ms Ihemefor said what is acceptable at 11pm is not at 3am.

He said the plan is to offer deliveries only after 11pm and offered to reduce the delivery hours to 2am.

In line with Sussex Police request Mr Sengottian said he was happy to add extra cameras to the closed-circuit television (CCTV) to what is already in place.

He also offered to join the Business Crime Reduction Partnership.

Labour councillor David McGregor asked what made the application exceptional for the panel to go against policy.

Mr Sengottian said: “We want to give hot food to the customers. There are a couple of businesses running in the same road, the chicken and pizza deliveries.

“A few of our customers have requested that they are able to get deliveries after 11pm and midnight at the weekends.”

The panel – councillors John Hewitt, Sam Parrott and David McGregor – retired to make their decision which is due to be made public within five working days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Pizza parlour’s plans for 4am opening come under fire

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
August 2025
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News