• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Charge dropped against aristocrat’s partner after baby manslaughter conviction

by Emily Pennink - PA Old Bailey correspondent
Monday 18 Aug, 2025 at 11:40AM
A A
2
Charge dropped against aristocrat’s partner after baby manslaughter conviction

Mark Gordon

A charge against the convicted rapist partner of aristocrat Constance Marten has been dropped following the couple’s conviction for the manslaughter of their baby daughter.

In July, Marten, 38, and Mark Gordon, 51, were found guilty of killing baby Victoria after they went off grid to avoid her being taken into care.

The couple, who are in custody, are facing years in jail when they are sentenced at the Old Bailey on September 15.

On Monday, Gordon returned to court for a hearing about an outstanding charge relating to his failure to keep in contact with police as a registered sex offender.

He was alleged to have breached his notification requirements while on the run from authorities between January 3 and February 27 2023.

Prosecutor Joel Smith KC told the court that in light of his recent conviction for manslaughter, the Crown Prosecution Service took the view that it was no longer in the public interest to pursue the charge.

Gordon, who appeared by video-link from Belmarsh prison unrepresented by a lawyer, seemed uncertain when asked to enter a plea.

Judge Mark Lucraft KC told him: “If you plead not guilty that will bring proceedings to an end.”

Gordon then responded: “Of course, not guilty.”

Mr Smith then offered no evidence and invited Judge Lucraft to formally acquit Gordon.

Afterwards, Gordon complained to the judge that he had difficulty finding a lawyer to represent him at his upcoming sentencing hearing.

He said: “I’m not up to the challenge of representing myself. I do not know the law. It’s too much for me to do. I cannot do it.”

Judge Lucraft refused any delay, saying the case which ran over two long-running trials had already been “hugely expensive”.

He told Gordon: “The boot is on your foot to get representation. If you are here on September 15 unrepresented, the court will proceed to sentence.”

Previously, the court had heard how police launched a nationwide hunt after the defendants’ car burst into flames on the motorway near Bolton, Greater Manchester.

The couple travelled across England and went off grid sleeping in a tent on the South Downs where baby Victoria died.

After seven weeks on the run, the defendants were arrested in Brighton.

Following a desperate search, police found their baby dead amid rubbish inside a Lidl bag in a disused shed nearby.

Victoria’s remains were too badly decomposed to establish the cause of death.

The prosecution said she died from hypothermia in the cold and damp conditions inside the flimsy tent, or was smothered.

The defendants claimed their daughter’s death was a tragic accident after Marten fell asleep on her.

A jury in their retrial unanimously found Marten and Gordon guilty of manslaughter.

In their first trial last year, the defendants were convicted of perverting the course of justice, concealing the birth of a child and child cruelty.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Hoveperson says:
    9 months ago

    Is anyone meant to care that he cant get a solicitor to represent him? He’s had enough public money spent on him and his partner.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      9 months ago

      Everyone is entitled to due process, even scumbags.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Charge dropped against aristocrat’s partner after baby manslaughter conviction

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
August 2025
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News