• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

New adventure playground dedicated to Babes in the Wood

by Frank le Duc
Friday 5 Sep, 2025 at 8:04PM
A A
2
New adventure playground dedicated to Babes in the Wood

The families of two girls who were murdered in Wild Park almost 40 years ago returned for the opening of a new adventure playground dedicated to their memory.

Nine-year-old best friends Karen Hadaway and Nicola Fellows were killed in October 1986 in a case known as the Babes in the Wood murders.

Both mothers, Michelle and Sue, and other relatives joined the mayor of Brighton and Hove Amanda Grimshaw at a ceremony this week.

The official opening took place after local girls took part in a football training session with coaches from the Brighton and Hove Albion Foundation, formerly Albion in the Community.

Brighton and Hove City Council has been working on the £500,000 project alongside the girls’ families to provide a lasting tribute and create a space for the local community to enjoy.

The play area, which is aimed at older children, follows the earlier opening of the neighbouring multi-use games area and sports court and nearby outdoor gym.

The latest phase of the project was made possible through a £200,000 investment by the council in addition to the £300,000 first phase.

It was inspired by a much-loved former adventure playground, fondly remembered by families in Moulsecoomb in the 1960s and 1970s, and includes bespoke equipment designed specifically for the site by specialists Kompan.

Nicola and Karen’s names are featured in the playing surface, providing a lasting memorial to the young friends.

This element was designed in partnership with the families of the two girls, including relatives who visited the play area earlier this week for the official opening.

The event held this week was run by the Brighton and Hove Albion Foundation which provides weekly free community football sessions in Moulsecoomb and across Brighton and Hove, funded by the Premier League Charitable Fund.

The event recreated an all-girls football tournament which took place many years ago in memory of Nicola and Karen.

Every girl who took part received a medal and personal congratulations from the mayor – and there are plans to make the tournament an annual event.

Nicola’s uncle, Nigel Heffron, said that there was a trophy when the tournament was last played, about 25 years ago, and asked anyone who knew where it was to get in touch.

As the mayor officially opened the play area, she praised the families and the local community and said that she hoped that the site would become a lasting celebration of the lives of Nicola and Karen.

Councillor Grimshaw said: “This has been such an important project – not just for the teams from the council and Kompan which have been working so hard to deliver such a fantastic facility but, more importantly, for the families of Nicola and Karen and the other representatives of the local community in Moulsecoomb who have been so instrumental in helping make it a reality.

“I have absolutely no doubt that this area will become a popular place for families, children and young people to meet, play, build friendships and make lasting memories together.

“It is fitting that the design not only enables that but also incorporates such a beautiful celebration of Nicola and Karen at its heart.”

Michelle Hadaway praised Steve Hyder and his project team from the council parks department as well as the contractors for the thought and the work that had gone into the play area and the dedication to Karen and Nicola.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Susan kimmins says:
    12 months ago

    I think it’s fantastic to have this playground, I was born in moulscoomb and remember this when it first happened, as a child I spent every summer holiday playing over the wild park with my friends very happy memories but when this happened to those poor girls it tarnished my memories, so to celebrate those little girls like this is the right thing g to do and I hope it helps the families. Regards Susan

    Reply
  2. Andrew Williams says:
    12 months ago

    Will this be look after and clean up as well in the winter time then

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

New adventure playground dedicated to Babes in the Wood

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
September 2025
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News