• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Controversial lapdancing club closes doors

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 13 Oct, 2025 at 4:17PM
A A
3
Controversial lapdancing club closes doors

A lapdancing club previously owned by a convicted sex offender has ceased trading and is set to be turned into a gay bar.

The Pussycat Club in Grand Parade received a “record number” of objections when it renewed its licence in February.

Now, it has closed its doors and a company owned by the same team behind the Brighton Sauna next door has applied to take over its alcohol licence.

The lapdancing club hit the headlines at its sex entertainment venue licence renewal meeting, at which feminist campaign group Sister Salon spoke to highlight financial links the club still had with former owner Kenneth McGrath.

McGrath was jailed in 2017 for coercing a vulnerable teenage girl from Brighton into having sex with him on his yacht in Majorca.

The licence was renewed after McGrath’s son Kris McGrath – now the sole director of the company which holds the licence, Saltire Investments Limited – said loans taken out in Kenneth McGrath’s name against the club would be repaid this year.

Last month, signs outside the club announced it had ceased trading with immediate effect from Friday, 26 September.

No updates have been made for the company which held the club’s licences, Saltire Investments Limited, on Companies House.

However another company owned and run by Kris McGrath called Saltire Sussex Ltd has applied to be struck off the register.

Mr McGrath did not respond to a request for comment.

A separate company called Brighton Cruise Bar Limited has applied to take over the club’s alcohol licence.

That company is owned and run by Paul and Andrew Gray, who also run Brighton Sauna.

Paul Gray said he had taken over the lease of the venue from Kristopher McGrath last month.

He said: “We entered into discussions with Kris and came to an amicable agreement. We are ripping the building apart at the moment.

“We are opening a gay bar – hailing back to the old days when people would maybe actually come out to a bar and meet people face to face.

“We’re hoping to open on 1 December. It’s a difficult climate – there’s more clubs closing down than opening these days, but we’re optimistic.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Benjamin says:
    4 months ago

    It’s a good location for a bar, nearby the current offering of St James Street.

    Reply
  2. Billy Short says:
    4 months ago

    If I remember correctly this upstairs bar was a gay club before, back in the late 1970s, then known as the Longbranch club, and popular with lesbians.
    I think, in this day and age, the proximity to St James’s street is not so important as the short staggering distance to the Sauna downstairs.
    Either way, it’s quite brave opening a new licensed premises in the current economic climate. So many bars in Brighton and Hove are currently running at a loss, or else struggling in getting customers past the door.

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      4 months ago

      It will be an all male cruise bar opening in November according to a Facebook post I saw.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Controversial lapdancing club closes doors

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Suspected stalker charged with threatening to burn down woman’s home

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
October 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News