• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

School awaits planners’ verdict on £1m all-weather pitch

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 29 Jan, 2026 at 1:28PM
A A
1
School awaits planners’ verdict on £1m all-weather pitch

Plans for a £1 million artificial all-weather sports pitch at a Brighton secondary school are due to be decided by councillors next week.

But the planning application submitted by Longhill High School, in Falmer Road, Rottingdean, has divided some in the community.

A report to Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee supported the proposal – as did 126 people who wrote in to give their backing. But 98 objections were also submitted.

Sport England, previously known as the Sports Council, initially objected to the prospect of 3G replacing the grass.

But now the government agency backs the idea as long as the field is not used for parking when conditions are wet or around the athletics track.

If the plans are approved, parking on the field would be limited to four dates – the school’s open day and three days when the school is used as a martial arts grading centre.

Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Bridget Fishleigh objected to the application – for several reasons. They included the effects on the environment and neighbours and the loss of green space for other pupils.

Councillor Fishleigh, who represents Rottingdean and West Saltdean, said that there were other 3G pitches near by including at Stanley Season Leisure Centre, the two universities and Saltdean United.

She said: “Schools in the city that have 3G pitches – Patcham, Stringer, BACA (Brighton Aldridge Community Academy), Blatchington Mill and Cardinal Newman – all have larger playing fields so there is still room for pupils to gather on grassed areas during breaks.

“What is currently an open area for all Longhill pupils to utilise for a variety of games and activities will now be restricted to pupils who like football or rugby and who can afford specialist 3G boots.”

She was also concerned about the effects on people living near the school because the proposed hours of use run until 10pm during the week and 8pm at weekends.

Labour councillor Jacob Allen, who represents Woodingdean ward, is due to speak in favour of the application at the Planning Committee meeting next week.

Councillor Allen, a former Longhill pupil, said that if children were to travel to other pitches for an hour of PE, it would take up a third of their lesson time.

In a letter of support, Councillor Allen said: “Access to high-quality sporting facilities is vital for young people, schools and grassroots clubs across our city.

“A modern all-weather 3G pitch at Longhill would provide a much-needed resource for both the school community and the wider local area, helping to increase participation in sport and physical activity throughout the year.”

He responded to concerns about the environmental impact, saying that the council required artificial pitches to conform to the latest EU and UK safety standards.

Rottingdean Parish Council had no objection to the plans but asked for conditions to manage the hours of use and noise and light pollution – and to ensure the south gate was closed from 6pm.

The South Downs National Park asked for a planning condition to govern the use of floodlighting to limit light pollution and disturbance to wildlife.

A draft planning condition would already limit floodlighting times to no later than 9pm on weekdays and 8pm on weekends and bank holidays.

Longhill head teacher Rachelle Otulakowski said: “The field currently gets waterlogged when it’s rainy so our students miss out on PE outdoors.

“If the plans are approved, they’ll be able to make proper use of the field all year round.”

The project is expected to cost £1.16 million, with a Football Foundation grant providing £850,000. The school is paying £203,000 of the project costs while £97,000 is coming from “section 106” money – contributions required from developers behind other local schemes.

Lewes RFC will contribute £2,000 and Woodingdean Wanderers FC about £10,000.

The school hopes to start work on the artificial pitch in July and to complete it in about 12 weeks – or by the end of September.

The Planning Committee is due to decide the application in a meeting at Hove Town Hall next Wednesday (4 February), starting at 2pm. The meeting is scheduled to be webcast.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Dirk Mitchell says:
    3 weeks ago

    No mention of NOISE NUISANCE laws which are legal and enforceable and can overrule any council decision. The council have already been warned about peak noises exceeding the 50dB threshold so I hope they are listening. Law comes before council policy. This was a long established residential area, even before the school sports hall was built.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Dirk Mitchell Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

School awaits planners’ verdict on £1m all-weather pitch

Man found dead in house this morning

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Greengrocer leaves market over plans to reduce opening hours

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2026
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News