• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
16 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Cuts to youth arts will hurt children in greatest need, say opposition councillors

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 16 Feb, 2026 at 10:17AM
A A
5
Council charges could soar as city faces budget ‘crunch point’

Hove Town Hall - Picture by N Chadwick from www.geograph.org.uk

A concerned parent fears for young people in Brighton and Hove if a cut to the council’s youth arts programme is passed when councillors sets their annual budget later this month.

Brighton and Hove City Council plans to save £41,000 from the programme, with a vacant post due to be scrapped in the council’s Youth Participation Team.

The Youth Arts Award Programme supports young people aged 11 to 19 – and those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) up to the age of 25

Among those it helps are children in care, care leavers and young people who are emotionally distressed and not participating in education, training and employment.

The cuts would leave one part-time member of staff to deliver the programme, which has bronze, silver and gold awards and is designed to help young people into education and work.

An equality impact assessment published as part of the council’s draft budget report said: “This would result in a loss of opportunity for the most vulnerable children living in the city, including children in care, who are disengaged from education, to achieve a nationally accredited award and reintegrate them back into education, training or employment.”

The scheme has supported 15 children and young people since last April.

Parents have previously campaigned successfully against cuts to the service in 2022 and 2023.

One mother whose child benefited from the programme has called on the council to maintain the current funding.

She said: “I am really saddened to hear the council may be reducing the funding to the arts award scheme as, for our family, it provided light at what was an unsettling time.

“My child did well at their GCSEs then everything stalled. They wanted to attend sixth form but ended up quite poorly, with a number of issues, including bad panic attacks and an illness that went on to require surgery.

“Without college, which they were told they could not do remotely, there was little on offer in the city that they could participate in.

“Doing the arts award gave them a focus, structure to their week and they gained a qualification.

“Their confidence was very low and the arts award got them through this time and meant they were seeing a professional youth worker for two hours a week.

“It is a unique service. The waiting list shows how desperately this is needed. I feel the word ‘arts’ makes it an easy target for budget cuts yet it met so many more needs, including mental health and future employability.

“Making sure young people aren’t isolated is important for the wider family and community. I really hope that the council keeps the present level of funding. They should feel proud to be offering this service and not be reducing it.”

Green councillor Sue Shanks raised the proposed spending cut when she addressed the council’s Labour cabinet about the budget. She said that the Greens would look to propose an amendment.

Conservative councillors Alistair McNair and Anne Meadows said that they recognised the value of the service and shared their frustration that it was once again facing a cut.

In a joint statement, they said: “We know young people are having a tough time. Youth unemployment is surging. Teachers are losing their jobs.

“Why does Labour feel the budget is so bad it has to cut the youth arts budget by £41,000?

“They can afford to spend more than £200,000 on the council’s equality, diversity and inclusion team.”

Labour councillor Emma Daniel, the council’s cabinet member for children, families and youth services, said: “The proposed reduction in the budget is a reflection of the service level as it has been operating this year.

“These art services are mainly and correctly provided through our alternative provision offer and funded through education funding.

“There is and will remain an arts offer for children who cannot attend school along with the additional support we propose to continue providing.

“Government funding coming into the city for ‘young futures’ will also support art activities along with many more interventions to ensure young people have access to fulfilling and creative opportunities in their leisure time.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Benjamin says:
    7 hours ago

    Conservative Councillors appear to be making their standard whataboutism arguments, as usual, as if they wouldn’t be considering the same cuts themselves if they were in any position to do so. The real question, and one many people have already commented on recently, is that local councils need a new structure of being funded by the government. Greens bleeding the city dry certainly didn’t help matters, either.

    I can’t imagine there is anyone who is looking to cut because they want to, but because they’re having to do more with less, and there’s the legal requirement to balance the budget. The alternative is that a section notice is issued, and the finance officer will take control – then you’d see DEEP cuts.

    Reply
  2. Tracy Ward says:
    6 hours ago

    How is it sensible to cut something which will cause a knock-on rise in youth anti social behaviour, mental health and even crime budgetary costs? All proposed cuts should factor in the cost of the potential knock on effects and whether they will be of greater cost to the council going forwards than the so-called immediate savings made. Even if the council don’t care about our health and wellbeing, they should be listening to financial experts who can predict the financial knock on effects of their short-sighted blundering.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      5 hours ago

      I think it’s an indication of how little there is in the budget at the moment. I don’t think not caring is the reason here. Budgets have to be pragmatic, perhaps to an extreme these days. That’s not blundering though; that’s recognition that councils are having to do more, with less, and if it doesn’t have a statutory protection, everything is up for consideration.

      One could gently argue that being short-sighted is to hold onto everything, knowing it isn’t sustainable in the current financial environment, right?

      Reply
      • Tracy Ward says:
        4 hours ago

        This council cannot have the obscene situation that it is seen squandering millions in public money on gridlocking road schemes and other non-essentials – even if part govt-funded – which screw the city over and actively reduce city tourism spend while claiming it cannot find money to keep the basics going – such as keeping young people out of trouble. It doesn’t wash. Local or national, public money is public money whatever way you choose to spin it. Prioritising people is not some quaint old fashioned concept. It’s the right thing to do and saves money on other knock on costs long-term. No one of intelligence can dispute the wisdom of prioritising public spending intelligently and for maximum public benefit. Or of investing in our children, since they are the future.

        Reply
        • Benjamin says:
          3 hours ago

          I had a feeling that was the direction you were going to go with this conversation, it’s one of the main challenges I put towards Green voters. Again, I’d reference how this and that are two separate funding pots that would never cross over regardless. You’re not wrong about the need to prioritise spending where it has the greatest long-term benefit; unfortunately, the crux is that you can’t just look at these things in a vacuum. Government funding streams often come with strings attached – spend it or lose it. In both of these, public money isn’t always just public money; ringfencing dictates a big portion of it.

          Although there’s definitely a wider point about timing, considering the national Labour Party is talking about reforming SEND and alternative provision, and is alluded to by Cllr Daniel. And having a little think about it, for less than the price of a mid-range family car, it is a scheme that supports some of the most marginalised individuals in Brighton. I want to know what the reduction looks like in practical terms. For example, if government funding covers what’s being reduced, effectively freeing up council funds for other things, then I’d be perfectly okay with that, because in practical terms, it’s not a reduction in service.

          Hmm, there’s nuance, like most things, and I agree that a pragmatic utilitarian approach to these things is absolutely the right thing to do!

          Reply

Leave a Reply to Benjamin Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Car showroom to become supermarket

Cuts to youth arts will hurt children in greatest need, say opposition councillors

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Parents ‘not told’ about last minute changes to schools admissions

At least 55 babies who died at Sussex NHS trust ‘may have survived’

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Council bin boss sentenced over A27 police chase and crash

Potholes a priority, council says

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

16 February 2026
Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

15 February 2026
An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

14 February 2026
Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

13 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
2

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
February 2026
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728  
« Jan    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
  • Primary school teacher charged with sexually assaulting two children 14 February 2026
  • Police staff member spared prison for having child porn 14 February 2026
  • Council workers attacked while trying to clear flooded roads 13 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News