• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 21 May, 2026 at 5:53PM
A A
0
Sinkhole appears outside financially troubled Brighton school

Middle Street Primary School

Councillors voted to close the oldest school in Brighton at a special meeting today (Thursday 21 May).

More than 1,300 people signed a petition presented by parents calling on Brighton and Hove City Council to save Middle Street Primary School from closure.

But despite impassioned pleas from Green, Conservative and Independent councillors at the meeting at Brighton Town Hall – a few hundred yards from the school – the vote to close the school passed because of the ruling Labour group’s majority.

Pippa Taylor presented the petition at the start of the special council meeting, underlining how the school was more than a financial balance sheet.

She said: “Middle Street was once a school with a waiting list and, in fact, operating at over 90 per cent occupancy just over a year ago.

“The current situation did not happen overnight. Concerns were raised, confidence lost and numbers fell. Many in the community feel these issues were not addressed early enough.

“Children and families should not be left to carry the consequences of failures they did not create.”

The council appointed an interim executive board (IEB) in June last year – a step that had to be signed off by the Education Secretary. It followed concerns about governance and financial viability

The school ran up a deficit of more than £400,000 in two years, in part because staff were suspended on full pay or absent on long-term sick leave. The cost of supply teachers added to the budget pressures.

The IEB explored federating with another school or schools but when just three families applied for a reception place at Middle Street for September, the IEB recommended closing the school.

As the school enters its final half term, just 37 children remain. Of those, 27 are in year 6 and due to start secondary school in September.

Green councillor Ellen McLeay said that the school did not suddenly become unviable. Parents started raising concerns about governance in November 2024, she said. But their complaints were not followed up or passed on and they were considered a “nuisance”.

Councillor McLeay said: “These serious failures are the foundation of the proposed closure because, by the time action was taken, reputational damage was already done.

“Very loyal parents lost faith and, in some cases, were exhausted and sought stability for their children.”

The West Hill and North Laine councillor said that it was important not to “wrap the closure in the narrative of falling pupil numbers” which has led to the closure of three other primary schools in the past two years.

She urged the council to take a closer look at how it deals with whistle-blowing and ensure concerns are acted upon.

Her fellow Green councillor Sue Shanks, who also represents West Hill and North Laine, reflected on the impact of the wider community.

Councillor Shanks said that lifelong friendships were made at the school gates and parents walking to school also supported local shops.

She mentioned the closure of St Bartholomew’s CofE School, in Ann Street, Brighton, in 2024 and said: “There is a real loss of community in that area because parents aren’t going to just hang around outside the school gates to use the shops along London Road.

“So we have a huge impact on the community as well.”

Conservative leader Alistair McNair raised concerns about how Middle Street had run up a six-figure deficit in such a short time – as had a number of other schools in Brighton and Hove.

Councillor McNair also spoke about governance, saying: “There have been concerns over head teacher recruitment. Parents complained about a lack of transparency from the council, a lack of answers all played out in the media.

“None of this can have been helpful for the staff and, more importantly, the pupils.”

Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Mark Earthey said that he could not “sanction the closure”.

Councillor Earthey said: “I appreciate … the numbers and I really would want a full inquiry first as to why we have got to here and then reserve judgment.

“Something has clearly gone desperately, desperately wrong here and I just really do need to know why.”

The Labour deputy leader of the council, Jacob Taylor, said that the school was a vibrant part of central Brighton’s community which his family knew well because his wife attended the school.

Councillor Taylor said: “I want to be clear that the failures in governance and financial management at the school up to May 2025 are serious issues.

“The council needs to properly examine whether these were avoidable which is why we have agreed to an independent review of the sequence of events leading up to that point.”

He said that it would be carried out by someone independent from the council who had yet to be named.

All the Labour councillors voted for the closure along with one Green councillor. The rest of the Greens and all the Conservative and Independent councillors voted against.

The school is due to close formally at the end of August, with the last few dozen pupils due to leave in July.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New bus route to start next month

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News