• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Wimpy faces losing booze licence after attempted rape

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 30 Jun, 2020 at 2:10PM
A A
1
Wimpy faces losing booze licence after attempted rape


A burger bar faces losing its licence less than 18 months after it was granted after an attempted rape on the premises.

Sussex Police has called for a review into the licence for Wimpy in Station Road, Portslade because of the incident, as well as immigration issues and CCTV being disabled.

Police were called to the restaurant on March 8 and Peraslingam Nanthvavaraman, 40, of Sheppard Way, Portslade, was arrested. He pleaded guilty to attempted rape at Hove Crown Court on Thursday, 16 April and is currently awaiting sentencing.

In the application for the review, dated 15 May, Brighton and Hove’s divisional commander Chief Superintendent Nick May said there are concerns about alcohol abuse on the premises.

The application for review said: “It has become clear that staff from this premises drink on site while the premises is open or after the premises has closed.

“On the specific evening in question, the victim had been poured a drink by the offender, which had been left in the kitchen.

“[Redacted] stated it tasted more of alcohol (possibly rum) than it did of Coke.”

Sussex Police are also concerned about the removal of CCTV, immigration issues and has concerns about both the designated premises supervisor and premises licence holder.

When the serious incident occurred, Sussex Police states the CCTV was turned off, and the camera moved.

Police investigations after the incident found the CCTV hard drive was missing, and wires were left exposed.

The premises licence holder received a warning letter from Brighton and Hove City Council licensing department in January 2020, when officer Donna Lynsdale could not view CCTV at the site.

Ms Lynsdale backs Sussex Police’s call to remove the licence.

When police went to the restaurant following the attempted rape, they also found two of the three staff working that day were doing so illegally.

Sussex Immigration, Compliance and Enforcement team supported these findings.

One was an illegal immigrant who had failed to follow bail conditions and was considered an “immigration absconder” since October 2010, with no right to work in the UK.

The other person was a chef who was a verified asylum seeker who should not be working. He was also found working there again on 8 April.

During investigations, Sussex Police found the named designated premise supervisor Ketheesan Tharmasseelan, who has overall responsibility for alcohol sales, was rarely at the Wimpy and lacked knowledge of the business.

The force also said the premise licence holder Kapilraj Vigneswaran showed “poor management, diligence and lack of responsibility for being a personal licence holder”.

Its application concludes: “Due to the seriousness of the evidence identified in this review and the general failings of the management regime, it is difficult to see what further conditions or other measures could be adopted that would adequately promote the licensing objectives.”

The panel of three city councillor holds its virtual meeting at 10am on Tuesday 7 July.

It is webcast on the authority’s website under the Your Council section at brighton-hove.gov.uk.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    6 years ago

    This is grim. The place should be closed down.

    Also it is surprising that there is that permanent struture on the sidewalk. Did that get Planning permission? Such a one had to be dismantled outside a chip shop on Portland Road.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Wimpy faces losing booze licence after attempted rape

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
June 2020
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News