• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Police appeal for witnesses after assault claims at Brighton school

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 20 May, 2021 at 2:00PM
A A
0
Police appeal for witnesses after assault claims at Brighton school

Scores of parents, children and supporters held a protest march through Brighton to oppose plans to turn Moulsecoomb Primary School into an academy

UPDATE on Friday 21 May – Sussex Police said: “After an investigation it was found there was no evidence of a crime being committed and no further action will be taken.”

Sussex Police has issued an appeal for witnesses after claims that an academy trust chief executive assaulted a pupil at a Brighton school – a claim that he denies.

The alleged assault happened at Moulsecoomb Primary School 10 days ago as parents and campaigners tried to prevent representatives of the Pioneer Academy trust from attending a meeting there.

The force said: “While in attendance at a protest outside a school in The Highway, Brighton, on Monday (10 May), police received a report of an assault.

“It was alleged a man had grabbed the wrist of a boy while trying to enter the building. No injuries were reported to police.

“Officers took the details of all those involved and witnesses at the scene and are in the process of obtaining all relevant statements.

“Inquiries are ongoing and anyone who saw what happened is asked to contact police online or by calling 101 quoting serial 243 of 10/05.”

Witnesses told Brighton and Hove News that Lee Mason-Ellis, the academy chain’s chief executive, grabbed the wrist of an 11-year-old boy with special needs called Mason Cobb.

Mr Mason-Ellis said afterwards: “The version of events which have now been put forward simply did not take place.

“The Pioneer Academy and I treat all matters of safeguarding extremely seriously.

“We will of course co-operate with any investigation into the matter but strongly reject the allegations which had been made.

“We respect the right to peaceful protest but are saddened that our visit to the school has been overshadowed by the unfounded allegations which have since followed.”

This afternoon the academy trust said: “Sussex Police have confirmed to Mr Mason-Ellis (the CEO of the Pioneer Academy) that, in respect of the allegation made against him resulting from the visit of the Pioneer Academy to Moulsecoomb Primary School on 10 May 2021, they have reviewed the allegation and they will not be taking any further action.”

The Pioneer Academy is due to take over running the school from Brighton and Hove City Council – a move rejected by 96 per cent of parents in a ballot.

@thePioneerTPA respect the wishes of parents, staff and the wider community.

Withdraw from the process of taking over our school so it can concentrate on educating our children.

If you don’t the protests will continue.@RSC_SESL @BaronessEB are you listening? pic.twitter.com/EihW3eUNgb

— Hands Off Moulsecoomb Primary School (@HandsOffMPS) May 16, 2021

At the weekend, hundreds of people took part in a protest march organised by Hands Off Moulsecoomb Primary School, despite the damp weather.

Those taking part included the school’s MP, Lloyd Russell-Moyle, the Labour member for Brighton Kemptown.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Police appeal for witnesses after assault claims at Brighton school

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
May 2021
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News