• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton seafront venue boss makes changes aimed at saving premises licence

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Tuesday 21 Feb, 2023 at 8:40PM
A A
0
Brighton seafront restaurant may lose drinks licence

A Brighton seafront restaurant faced losing its licence after Sussex Police formally requested a review.

But today (Tuesday 21 February) councillors were told that Monarch’s landlord had held talks with the police and agreed terms that would permit the venue to reopen.

The talks followed the short-term closure of Monarch, in King’s Road, last month after an incident when staff called for officers to attend to deal with a “problem customer”.

At a council licensing panel hearing today Sussex Police said that they had agreed to proposed new licence conditions including reduced hours.

This followed talks with the venue’s landlord and designated premises supervisor (DPS) Andrew Cheesman, 56.

The panel, made up of three councillors, will decide whether to approve the new regime before the restaurant can reopen under a new name and management.

Monarch was on the site of the former Buddies restaurant and had a 24-hour drinks licence.

It was closed after an incident on Monday 23 January when staff called the police to deal with a violent customer.

The customer was taken to hospital with an eye injury and then arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly after his behaviour became worse.

Initially, Sussex Police called the review so that councillors could consider revoking the licence after seven incidents from April to October last year in and around Monarch.

Mr Cheesman said that he had swabbed the venue for traces of drugs, tested staff and introduced an ID scanner after a meeting with the police licensing team last September.

Sussex Police did not submit any evidence of drug traces having been found at the premises despite indicating in a report that drugs were taken there.

Mr Cheesman said that he had agreed that an Indian restaurant called Malika could take over the site, with a view to opening on Monday 6 March.

He told the council licensing panel that he started looking for a new team to take over the business after last year’s meeting with police licensing officers.

Mr Cheesman realised, he said, that Sunset Brighton Limited, whose directors include Mr Cheesman’s 22-year-old nephew Ellis Cheesman, could not cope with the pressures of running a restaurant on the seafront.

Ellis Cheesman and his former business partner Stephen Darby, 62, who resigned last September, have no links with Malika.

Mr Cheesman said: “They have no involvement at all. In December, I had already lined up the new people because we were not going to agree for the licence to carry on with Ellis.

“I had agreed to stay on as DPS to help them through as I’ve been on the seafront for 25 years.”

Mr Cheesman agreed to step down as DPS. The new team from Malika was said to have staff with licensing experience who were ready to take over running the premises.

Under the proposed conditions, the venue would operate as a café during the day, with alcohol available from 10am to 5pm and with substantial food available at all times.

The venue would close at 5pm, reopening at 5.30pm, with restaurant conditions limiting alcohol sales to customers buying a full meal until closing time at midnight.

The panel – councillors Chris Henry, Clare Moonan and Anne Pissaridou – retired to make a decision which should be made public within five working days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton seafront venue boss makes changes aimed at saving premises licence

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News