• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Pedestrian catapulted in the air by car as he crossed road, court hears

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 18 Jul, 2023 at 2:27PM
A A
3
Pedestrian catapulted in the air by car as he crossed road, court hears

The stretch of road Mr Clark was crossing, from Costa to the other side, when the crash happened

A woman spoke of the horrifying moment she saw her husband flung in the air after a car hit him as he crossed the road.

Andy Clark was carrying two hot mochas and a bacon roll back to their car from Costa when he was hit by a car driven by Kamal Rezaye on Portland Road, Hove.

Rezaye, 24, is on trial for driving without due care and attention at Brighton Magistrates Court today.

Mr Clark’s wife Jenny told the court: “I heard a horrible thud. It was a noise that will never leave me.

“There was no sound of a horn or brakes or anything to indicate that someone was slowing down, just this thud.

“I saw my husband flying through the air towards the back of the car.

“Immediately I saw that, I jumped out of the car and called his name and saw him tumbling back on the road and he came to a stop in the middle of the road.

“He was lying in a feotal position in the road. I ran up to him and cuddled him with his head which was pouring blood and already pooled in the road and called for someone to call an ambulance.

“I didn’t know if he was alive or dead because he was lifeless for a little while.

“I kept talking to him but his injuries were obviously very severe.

“I really thought he may have passed away.”

The court heard the impact left Mr Clark with a shocking list of injuries, including an open fracture to his left elbow, and breaks to his pelvis, left leg, two ribs, left wrist and two bones at the base of his spine.

He also had deep vein thrombosis, deafness in his right ear for ten weeks and a greatly reduced short term memory loss.

He underwent skin grafts and blood tranfusions, and is still walking on crutches almost 18 months after the crash.

Mr Clark, a driving instructor, told the court he had met his wife on 8 February last year after a last minute lesson cancellation.

He said he had checked both ways before crossing Portland Road halfway, and then checked again before starting to cross the rest of the way.

“I remember being 90 per cent over the road then I was surprised I was knocked over. I came round about 15 minutes later and there were people standing around me. That’s all I remember.”

He added: “The sad thing is that the pupil I had afterwards had her driving test and I was meant to pick her up from Brighton Station.

“I felt awful I had let her down.”

In cross examination, Rezaye’s defence counsel Jack Jennett said to him he was in a hurry because he had parked on double yellow lines in Modena Road and his wife had their new puppy with them in the car.

But he countered: “I wasn’t in a rush because I was carrying two hot mochas, and you don’t want to carry those in a rush or you’ll hurt yourself.”

The court also heard from witnesses Philip Ashgrove, Nicholas Ho and Daniel O’Farrell, who all said they saw Mr Clark catapulted in the air.

Mr Ashgrove said: “I saw a car approaching from the east side and basically driving straight into the gentleman crossing the road.

“The gentleman hit the car and then was catapuled through the air, landing in the T junction with Modena Road.

“I was overwhelmed by what I had seen.”

Mr Ho, a veterinary surgeon who was driving two cars behind Rezaye’s Ford Focus, said Mr Clark had been more than halfway across the road when he was hit.

Mr O’Farrell, who was driving in the opposite direction and was parallel to Rezaye’s car when the crash happened, said Mr Clark had walked out from parked cars, and Rezaye wouldn’t have seen him.

He said that lots of local GPs and staff from the nearby pharmacy had come out to help Mr Clark.

Rezaye, of Craven Road, Brighton, was tested at the roadside and there was no evidence he was unfit to drive.

He denies the charge. The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Catherine says:
    3 years ago

    Cars need to be banned. Cycling much better for mindfulness. Enjoy the air. Cycle to the beach. It’s also safer for folk to cycle after a few Proseccos in a friends garden. Double win!!

    Reply
    • mart Burt says:
      3 years ago

      Hmm, no cars.
      Some of us do something called work, where we need to drive for any number of reasons including poor public transport options and cycling not practical.
      You carry on cycling to the beach that’s your choice, but please cycle safety and don’t knock down any pedestrians, oops, too late been many reports of that so lets ban cycles.

      Reply
    • Peter Challis says:
      3 years ago

      You do realise that you can be fined for being drunk on a bicycle https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/cycling-drunk-crime-uk-law-fine-how-much-punishment-284896

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Pedestrian catapulted in the air by car as he crossed road, court hears

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
July 2023
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News