• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Carer stole frail OAP’s life savings, court hears

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 14 Dec, 2023 at 6:41PM
A A
3
One parking warden is attacked or abused every week in Brighton and Hove

Brighton Magistrates' Court

A Brighton carer stole tens of thousands of pounds from a frail elderly man’s life savings, a court heard today.

Paul King, 53, of Western Road, Brighton, transferred money from Harry Brown’s account into his own accounts and withdrew large amounts of cash over a period of four years.

Mr Brown, who is now 88, also sold his bungalow in Saltdean, which the Crown says King was intending to take the proceeds of – although King denies this.

He pleaded guilty last month to fraud by abuse of position. But today, Brighton Crown Court was told he only accepts stealing £30,000, not the £150,000 the Crown says he took.

The hearing was further delayed this morning because nobody was in court to prosecute the case – or decide whether to accept King’s version of events.

District Judge Amanda Kelly, sitting as a crown court judge, paused the proceedings for a representative of the CPS to come into court.

Once there, she told them: “I’m extremely concerned that this case is listed – a case of the utmost sadness and sensitivity, there’s press interest, members of the family who I understand are quite frail are here.

“A victim who has on the face of it been defrauded of his life savings and family home.

“And yet there wasn’t even a member of the Crown Prosecution Service in court.”

Defending, Kevin Light said: “When my client pleaded guilty, all we had from the CPS was the case summary which indicated that the loss is £150,000.

“At that stage, nothing else had been uplodaded.

“The court was told my client didn’t accept that the loss was that amount. The bottom line is he says the loss is only £30,000.

“He was employed by Mr Brown as a carer and he was being paid money for that. He was also incurring expenses on Mr Brown’s behalf.

“And there were other amount of money he agreed he could spend.

“I don’t think it’s going to be disputed he was being aid, and he says this reduces the loss.”

This afternoon, Gus Walter appeared to prosecute the case and told the court the CPS wasn’t prepared to accept King’s account.

He said: “Mr Brown was induced to sell his bungalow and we say that was an aggravating factor.

“The defendant was going to take the proceeds of that property. The defence say that sale was done for the victim’s best interest and family members supported it. But there’s no evidence of that.”

He also said the Crown wasn’t prepared to accept the loss was only £30,000.

The case was adjourned until 18 January so the defence can submit a formal basis of plea and the CPS can decide if there is any way it can be agreed.

If not, which Mr Walter said appears unlikely, a Newton hearing will be held, during which Judge Kelly will make a ruling on the disputed facts.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Benjamin says:
    2 years ago

    Stealing from an old man is the lowest of low.

    Reply
  2. Stephanie says:
    2 years ago

    Absolutely shameful . Old people are so vulnerable and allowing people into their homes to help them is such a risk and no one can guarantee that these ‘carers’ are all trustworthy . This man should be made an example off .

    Reply
    • john mullins says:
      2 years ago

      Swift kick in the nuts

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Carer stole frail OAP’s life savings, court hears

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Biscuit Barrel, Brighton Fringe, Komedia Studio, 10th & 17th May 2026

A Biscuit Barrel Full Of Energy

18 May 2026
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
December 2023
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News