• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton machete attacker left victim bleeding heavily

Neighbours called ambulance after man sustained repeated blows

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 9 Jan, 2024 at 2:10PM
A A
5
Man ‘urgently’ wanted over Whitehawk stabbing

William Miller

A Brighton man struck someone he knew with a machete time and again during a violent attack in a flat in Whitehawk, a jury was told today (Tuesday 9 January).

William Miller, 43, of Whitehawk Close, denies wounding Ryan Greer, 35, of nearby Graffham Close, with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm (GBH).

Jonathan Atkinson, prosecuting, said that Miller got into an argument with Mr Greer over a charging cable and ended up hacking at him with the blade.

Mr Greer managed to flee Miller’s flat but was found in the road drenched in his own blood with wounds to his head, back and hand.

He had tried calling the police on 999 twice to say that he was “bleeding out”, Mr Atkinson told the jury.

A neighbour called an ambulance while her partner put him in the recovery position, fearing that he was choking.

The attack happened at about 12.30pm on Friday 14 July last year and afterwards Miller disappeared until Sussex Police appealed through the media for help to find him.

He then turned himself in to the police in Brighton and told them that he had acted in self-defence.

Mr Atkinson said: “This defendant violently assaulted a man called Ryan Greer, who was known to him, following an argument at the defendant’s flat.

“The defendant armed himself with a machete and repeatedly struck Mr Greer with the machete to the head and back.

“Mr Greer was bleeding heavily.

“He managed to make his way from the property and tried to call the police before a number of members of the public came to his aid and called an ambulance.

“At around 12.30pm a number of residents of Whitehawk Close, in Brighton, became aware of a male lying in the road.

“He was bleeding heavily and crying for help.

“Mr Greer was covered in blood from several wounds to his head and back and a further stab wound to his hand.

“Police received two 999 calls. He believed that he was bleeding out but it was difficult for the call handler to ascertain exactly what had happened.”

Mr Atkinson told the jury that a man could be heard shouting aggressively in the background, telling him to get out of the property.

Miller threatened to remove Mr Greer from his flat “piece by piece”.

William Miller

He told the police that Mr Greer had punched him before grabbing him around the neck, saying that he was being choked and felt that he couldn’t breathe.

Miller tried to poke Mr Greer in the eye before grabbing the machete, Mr Atkinson said, adding: “He began to strike Mr Greer and this succeeded.”

Even when Mr Greer was on the floor, Mr Atkinson said, Miller maintained that “he might still be under attack”.

Miller told police that he might have used words to the effect of “I want to chop you up” but that was merely said to try to intimidate him.

The jury was warned by Judge Gary Lucie that the jury bundle contained graphic photographs of Mr Greer’s injuries.

Mr Atkinson said that the police had also taken pictures of Miller who had “some scratch marks to his hand and some scratch marks behind his ear”.

There was no sign of any bruising to his neck or throat.

Ryan Greer

Mr Atkinson said that, however the incident had started, the use of the machete “was not and could not have been in reasonable self-defence”.

He said: “The force used by the defendant was excessive, going far beyond anything that could reasonably be called self-defence.”

Syam Soni, defending, told the jury that Mr Greer had first grabbed Miller by the throat and the defendant had acted only in self-defence.

Mr Soni said: “The defence’s case is that he was acting at all times in self-defence. He was attacked in an unprovoked manner by Ryan Greer.”

All his actions after that point, Mr Soni said, were in self-defence “because he feared for his life”.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Blatchberg says:
    2 years ago

    Looks like one of those reconstructions of a caveman you see in the museum.

    Reply
    • STAN REID says:
      2 years ago

      I think the re-construction would have every right to feel offended

      Reply
  2. Go on Nige says:
    2 years ago

    Build a fence around Whitehawk and Mouslecombe and watch the crime in Brighton and Hove drop the instantly.

    Reply
    • Anne says:
      2 years ago

      That may be physical crime. However, on another part of the spectrum. They target vulnerable people, accuse them of something they haven’t done in the belief they’ll pay up. They’ve most probably been able to get away with this before.

      Reply
  3. Phillip Barley says:
    2 years ago

    This man Ryan is a liar a bully and a woman beta he is no one’s friend he will act like your friend but he’s not he’s allowed to attack people and the police let him get away with it all the time the man who’s put in prison is innocent fair play he cut him up but that’s his own fault for grabbing people’s throat people want wanna know the truth ask his missis and wait to their happiness happens to you by him

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Brighton machete attacker left victim bleeding heavily

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Met Office warns of torrential rain tomorrow

Man jailed over Hove cannabis farm

Car showroom to become supermarket

Housing boss quit after fire safety failures, court told

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

18 February 2026
Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

18 February 2026
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News