• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Inmate used Brighton medical appointment to try to smuggle drugs into prison

Former Portslade man told girlfriend to hide stash in hospital toilets

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 22 Apr, 2024 at 4:49PM
A A
8
Inmate used Brighton medical appointment to try to smuggle drugs into prison

An inmate used a hospital appointment in Brighton as a way to try to smuggle drugs into Lewes Prison.

Michael Beirne, 41, phoned his girlfriend from the prison and told her to leave cocaine and ketamine in the men’s toilets at the Sussex Eye Hospital.

Beirne, formerly of Dean Gardens, Portslade, and Bronte Drive, in Stone Cross, Pevensey, was due to be seen at the hospital, in Eastern Road, Brighton, on Wednesday 31 August 2022.

His appointment was pushed back a day so he called Lucy D’Cruze and told her to fetch the drugs and go back the next day to hide them once again.

Police said: “Beirne instructed D’Cruze to put class A drugs, namely cocaine and ketamine, in the male toilets at the Sussex Eye Hospital so that a prisoner could collect them and smuggle them into prison.

“A prison officer escorting the individual found the drugs on searching the toilets and the drugs were prevented from entering the prison.”

Sussex Eye Hospital

Beirne, of Rochester Prison, in Kent, and 47-year-old D’Cruze, of Bronte Drive, Stone Cross, were sentenced on Friday (19 April) by Judge Jeremy Gold at Brighton Crown Court.

Both had pleaded guilty to trying to smuggle prohibited drugs into a prison on behalf of a prisoner.

Judge Gold jailed Beirne for 15 months to be served consecutively to a 75-month prison sentence for a series of knifepoint robberies in Eastbourne in May 2022. He had been due for release in just over a year.

D’Cruze was given a 15-month prison sentence, suspended for two years. She was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and rehabilitation activity.

The pair were charged last September after an investigation by the South East Regional Prisons Intelligence Team (SERPIT).

The police said that the case was “an example of the ongoing collaborative” work between the prison service and the specialist police team.

SERPIT added: “Anyone attempting to organise the supply of drugs into (prisons) should be warned that they will be identified and prosecuted.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. STAN REID says:
    2 years ago

    This is why druggies need telephones, otherwise inside business will come to a standstill with little or no profit,

    Reply
    • Bert says:
      2 years ago

      Do you have a cell number for any inmates as I gagging for a smoke?

      Reply
  2. Andrew Hobbs says:
    2 years ago

    He was an idiot,Cos he used the prison phone!
    Which everyone knows are recorded and listened
    To by the screws.
    Rochester prison is full of illicit mobile phones.
    Why did he not use one of those.

    Reply
  3. black pussy says:
    2 years ago

    The inmates must be a bit silly not to realise that their phone conversations are listened to by the prison officers

    Reply
  4. Hoveperson says:
    2 years ago

    What is the point of a consecutive sentence? What bother with a trial if a conviction won’t result in anything further b3ing added to an existing sentence?

    Reply
    • Bert says:
      2 years ago

      Obviously a conspiracy because a consecutive sentence means if you add the two sentences together,you can then divide that by 3 ,then add on time served which should result in a total sentence that always ends on a tuesday.however if it’s not a Tuesday it returns to court and can be adjusted to a Friday morning..(depending on which month, obviously)..I’m my experience of HMP service most inmates tend to be innocent ,again the government lock up those whom don’t conform as kids thus ending up behind bars simply because they may have broken the law …it’s so unfair,it’s against human rights and gives me anxiety which i will try to make a claim for..!!!
      Please donate and consider” lbtxjdunqq” and bldm and “river to the sea “blah blah.

      Reply
  5. Bert says:
    2 years ago

    It’s a set up..the officers involved put the drugs there and then tried to pretend it was a unisex , trans loo.thus only weirdos can take a dump while eating cornflakes
    You know what I mean . especially if the hospital had been funded by Israel…
    Please advise??

    Reply
    • Dave says:
      2 years ago

      I can advise that you’re a fool.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Inmate used Brighton medical appointment to try to smuggle drugs into prison

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
April 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News