• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Racecourse car park proposal to go before planners

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 29 May, 2024 at 11:46PM
A A
10
Racecourse car park proposal to go before planners

Brighton Racecourse car park

A planning application to extend and resurface a car park at Brighton Racecourse is due to go before councillors next week for a decision.

The application to extend the aggregate covered parking area in Warren Road, Brighton, is partly retrospective and has drawn objections from councillors and neighbours.

The racecourse said that the land had been used as a park and ride for events at the American Express Community Stadium since 2013 with aggregate covering a third of the area.

Over the past 10 years, the area has been “churned up” by vehicles and some have had to be pulled out of ruts in wet weather.

The racecourse said: “Given worsening weather conditions, the racecourse entered discussions with the council last year to extend the provision of aggregate within the northern part of the park and ride to limit the issues that were becoming increasingly prevalent.

“A licence for this work was duly granted by the council on Wednesday 20 September 2023, with work commencing on the agreed basis.”

Work would be limited to replacing the churned up topsoil to a maximum depth of about 5in or 15cm.

Archaeological reports are included in the application because it is close to Whitehawk Camp, a Neolithic causeway and scheduled monument, but does not directly affect the area.

Labour councillor Tim Rowkins, who represents Hanover and Elm Grove, has objected to the plans and asked for the application to be decided by the Planning Committee.

Councillor Rowkins and his fellow ward councillors are concerned about the loss of green space close to the South Downs and the potential effects on surface water management.

Thirteen objections from the public have been submitted to Brighton and Hove City Council and one comment in support of the plans.

An anonymous objector, whose details were redacted by the council, said: “The surfacing of this part of the park and ride racecourse is completely unnecessary and runs totally counter to all efforts to combat climate change.

“We should not be removing areas of grass which perform many functions including preventing run-off (at the top of a large hill), reducing heat during hot weather and providing a more natural setting on the urban fringe of the city.”

Another anonymous objector whose details were also redacted said: “This goes against the council’s plans to reduce water runoff from Elm Grove – noted as a flooding risk area.

“The concreting over of the land will not help this, therefore undermining the council’s plans.”

The anonymous supporter, whose details were also redacted, said: “I support this application. It will regularise the use of that part of land and enable it to be conditioned appropriately.”

The council’s Planning Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall at 2pm on Wednesday 5 June. The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 10

  1. Max says:
    2 years ago

    The brass neck of it. Having stripped away healthy greensward without seeking permission in the first place, they are now asking if they can damage even more of it. The Planning Committee should continue to prioritise the conservation of environmental resources and refuse this destructive application.

    Reply
  2. Davey Scott says:
    2 years ago

    It would not be a race course if it not have a muddy car park.

    Reply
  3. Benjamin says:
    2 years ago

    There are better ways, in my opinion. Mesh, for example.

    Reply
  4. Dave says:
    2 years ago

    I go there almost daily. They’re not concreting anything, there’s no run off as it’s completely porous. It’s a pity removing grass, but I point people towards the 3+ miles of fantastic turf on the racecourse proper…..beautiful.

    Reply
  5. Ann E Nicky says:
    2 years ago

    Dave, think you should get your pedometer checked. The racecourse is about half of what you say it is and it’s fenced off to the public!

    Reply
  6. Madeline Douglas says:
    2 years ago

    This is an absolute disgrace. I put in a petition or tried to put a stop to this as they went ahead without planning permission in the first place. It is also land that is protected and belongs to the downs. Why should we have car park after car park put in Brighton we are known now as Brighton and Hove city car park. When will this stop? Taken away landscape for car parks it wouldn’t be so bad if they will build in flats or houses on it but a car park really I don’t think so disgusting.

    Reply
  7. Paul Dennis says:
    2 years ago

    There are some very good porous reinforced grass product available .

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      Care to share some links? I’m actually looking at getting some for the corners of a few streets in my area that get clipped quite a bit.

      Reply
  8. Andrew says:
    2 years ago

    Have a park and ride system then

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      An excellent suggestion, in my opinion.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Racecourse car park proposal to go before planners

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
May 2024
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News