• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Funding found for suffragette statue

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 24 Jun, 2026 at 3:48PM
A A
17
Funding found for suffragette statue

Council leader Bella Sankey with a suffragette lamp

A long-running campaign for a new statue to commemorate the life of suffragette Mary Clarke will now go ahead, after Brighton and Hove City Council announced funding support for the project.

The leader of the council Bella Sankey said: “Brighton and Hove is one of the birthplaces of women’s liberation.

“Women like suffragette Mary Clarke, who gave her life for women’s emancipation here in the city, are the reason why women now have an equal say in our democracy and why I am able to lead a council where over half our councillors are women.

“So I’m excited to announce that we have unlocked funding to build a permanent monument to Mary and her sacrifice for us.

“It is crucial that our children – especially our girls – learn about the giants that have come before us and lit our path.

“And there is no better way to achieve this than through public monuments – collective expressions of who we are as a city, what we celebrate and who we want to take up our public space.

“Like many cities, most of our statues and monuments recognise men – and we have virtually nothing that commemorates our feminist, democratic and radical history as a city. We’re about to fix that.

Council leader Bella Sankey meets descendants of suffragette Mark Clarke

“We have come so far I am inspired every day by the women of Brighton and Hove – the young women, the older women, the straight women, the lesbian women, the working class women, the disabled women, the immigrant women, the neurodiverse women, the Black women, the Jewish women, the Muslim women and all other women who contribute to the identity and culture of our place. This statue will be for all of them.”

The council said that the remaining funds required for the statue – £35,000 – would come from “community infrastructure levy” (CIL) – developer payments made as part of the planning process.

The council was keen to stress that this funding was not from the council tax-funded general revenue budget but from ring-fenced funds that are available for things such as infrastructure and improved public realm.

The Mary Clarke Statue Appeal chair of trustees Jean Calder said: “This is wonderful news. We are so grateful to the city council, especially Councillors Bella Sankey and Jacob Taylor who have pushed so hard for this.

“Also, to ward councillors Ellen McLeay and Sue Shanks and many others who over the years have argued for this statue.

“This includes some who have left the council such as Tony Janio and Dan Yates and others, like Mary Mears, who have sadly died without seeing it come to fruition.”

“Added to the cash we have raised from many hundreds of individual donors, this CIL grant will allow us to finally get the statue made.

“Denise Dutton, our wonderful sculptor has completed the design and made a bronze maquette which is displayed in the foyer to the Jubilee Library.

“She can now schedule in work on the statue itself. The charity intends the statue to be in place in 2027, well before 2028, the hundredth anniversary of all women getting the right to vote.

“Fundraising will continue to meet the additional costs of erecting the statue and the unveiling which is likely to be huge event. We also hope to continue and develop our educational work associated with Mary’s legacy.”

For more information visit maryclarkestatue.com or contact the chair of trustees on jeancalder.mcsa@gmail.com.

Mary Clarke was the sister of Emmeline Pankhurst and became the first suffragette to die for the right of women to vote as a result of her injury at the notorious events of “Black Friday”.

On Friday 18 November 1910, some 300 suffragettes were beaten and sexually assaulted as they attempted to lobby Parliament.

Jean Calder

Mary Clarke died of a brain haemorrhage on Christmas Day 1910, having been released two days earlier from Holloway Prison where she had been on hunger strike and was reportedly forcibly fed.

As a much-loved and admired paid organiser, Mary Clarke ran the Brighton office of the Women’s Social and Political Union from 1909 to 1910 and worked across the south east.

She lived in the Seaview guest house, at 13 Victoria Road, run by fellow suffragette, Minnie Turner.

The project to raise a statue in her memory has had the all-party support of the council for many years – and in 2024, the council posthumously awarded her the freedom of the city.

The project also has the support of national heritage body Historic England, the Theatre Royal, the North Laine Community Association and numerous New Road businesses as well as current and former Members of Parliament – as well as the Dome and Festival Trust and the Royal Pavilion and Museums Trust.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 17

  1. David Lepper ( Member of the Max Miller Appreciation Society says:
    2 months ago

    Well done by the Council
    And congratulations to all those residents involved in the Mary Clarke campaign

    Reply
  2. Michael+barry says:
    2 months ago

    Couldn’t that money have gone to something more useful ? Like building more cycle lanes or helping out homeless

    Reply
    • Derek says:
      2 months ago

      its not council money

      Reply
  3. Tom castelli says:
    2 months ago

    The suffragettes were a brave group fighting for equality. Labour would have proscribed them as a terrorist organisation under this current government. Dont Vote labour until it has been purged of its current hijackers.

    Reply
  4. Evidence Based Care please says:
    2 months ago

    It’s wonderful to see Mary Clarke finally being honoured. However, it’s hard to reconcile this celebration of the suffragettes’ fight for women’s rights with Councillor Bella Sankey’s consistent opposition to sex‑based protections.

    As council leader she has repeatedly pledged that Brighton & Hove will be a “beacon city” for trans, non‑binary and gender‑queer people and that anti‑trans sentiment “will not be tolerated” – not a word or a thought for the women of the city who were and are being forced to share their sexed private spaces with males.

    After the Supreme Court clarified that “sex” in equalities law does not include men (trans women), she said the ruling caused “confusion and deep anxiety” and vowed to campaign for guidance that lets trans people access services without restriction . Again not a thought for the women of the city who would now be less likely to encounter an unwelcome penis in their changing rooms.

    She later condemned Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance on single‑sex spaces, calling it “deeply confusing” and “deeply unfair” because it might prevent trans people using facilities aligned with their gender . Not a word on how women are very grateful for the change.

    She also wrote that there is no “zero‑sum game” and insisted Brighton would never tolerate transphobia . Most women feel these positions sideline their right to female‑only services and spaces – rights suffragettes fought hard to secure. When survivors of male violence say they need female‑only support groups, and when councillors who raise sex‑based concerns are removed from roles, it feels as if women’s boundaries are being sacrificed. If we are to honour Mary Clarke’s legacy, we must recognise that safeguarding women’s rights, including the right to say no to male bodies in intimate spaces, is not incompatible with protecting other minorities.

    Where was our beloved leaders thoughts on women, fully 51% of the city population, when she was saying the things above? How does “Brighton and Hove is one of the birthplaces of women’s liberation.” fit in with males being allowed in female spaces and women who say no tarred as bigots?

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 months ago

      Nicely put. Bella Sankey and the Labour Party gaslighting again.

      Reply
    • Benjamin™ says:
      2 months ago

      Transgender individuals get a raw deal. Excluded from lots of spaces, facing a lot of intolerance, often unfairly described as sexual deviants despite overwhelmingly more likely to be victims, I could go on…

      Either way, society still has a way to go.

      Reply
      • Evidence Based Care please says:
        2 months ago

        Men being excluded from female spaces is not the knock out blow you think it is Benjamin.

        And I do wonder what you make of the government stats clearly showing that trans identified individuals are three times more likely to be inside for sexual assault than the general male prison population?

        Society has a way to go to bring things back, but we are well on the way and the ship’s not for turning now.

        No men in female spaces. ever

        Reply
  5. David says:
    2 months ago

    A handy visual reference of what a woman is, for all those labour, councillors and MP”s who seem to struggle with such things

    Reply
    • Jane Standen says:
      2 months ago

      Someone with long hair tied back and a long coat?
      Well done! Do you even think about these ridiculous comments before you press ‘post’?

      Reply
      • Evidence Based Care please says:
        2 months ago

        Why can councillor’s not answer simple questions like what is a woman then?

        Reply
  6. Derek says:
    2 months ago

    Which development CIL funds did it come from?

    Reply
    • Benjamin™ says:
      2 months ago

      I believe CIL is centralised, as one of the core differences to S106 which is specific to an area where development has occurred?

      Reply
  7. Ann E Nicky says:
    2 months ago

    Perhaps they could find £400k from CIL to keep Wellington House open? I’d like to think that Mary would approve.

    Reply
    • Benjamin™ says:
      2 months ago

      Might create a stay of exclusion for a year, what’s the plan after that? I appreciate the sentiment though.

      Reply
      • Ann E Nicky says:
        2 months ago

        It might be a better use of funds and despite Bellas fine words, some people are still awaiting settlement of their fair pay claims.

        Reply
        • Benjamin™ says:
          2 months ago

          I suspect that will take years; complicated work, and important to get right.

          Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Funding found for suffragette statue

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
June 2026
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News