• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Former Sussex cricketer banned for life over match-fixing at Hove

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 18 Jun, 2014 at 2:17PM
A A
0

Former Sussex cricketer Naveed Arif Gondal has been banned from the game for life after he admitted match-fixing charges.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said that the 32-year-old former Pakistan A bowler had pleaded guilty to six breaches of the ECB’s Anti-Corruption Code.

All of the breaches related to corrupt activity in connection with the Clydesdale Bank 40 fixture between Sussex and Kent at Hove in August 2011.

Naveed Arif’s admissions were made in tape-recorded interviews with the ECB’s anti-corruption unit and in signed statements.

In accordance with the code, Arif has accepted an agreed sanction of a life ban from all forms of cricket.

The ban prevents him from playing, coaching or participating in any form of cricket that is recognised or sanctioned by the ECB, ICC (International Cricket Council) or any other national cricket federation.

Naveed Arif
Naveed Arif

ECB chief executive David Collier said: “Today’s announcement sends out a very clear message that the ECB has a zero-tolerance approach to corruption in cricket and that it will root out and punish those who pose a threat to the game’s integrity.

“We thank the anti-corruption team for their work in bringing this case and trust that it will serve as a stark reminder to all players of the dangers that corrupt activities pose to their careers and livelihoods.”

Arif, who played for Sussex in 2011 and 2012, was suspended in April this year and charged in May.

He apologised in a statement released by his lawyers. The statement said: “He is deeply ashamed of his actions and, consequently, bringing the game of cricket into disrepute. These actions were unacceptable and Mr Arif has no excuses.”

One of his former Sussex team-mates, Lou Vincent, was also charged with 14 offences under the Anti-Corruption Code last month.

The charges against 35-year-old Vincent relate to the same CB40 game against Kent and a Twenty20 match against Lancashire in the same month.

The former New Zealand test batsman was said to have given the ICC evidence about match-fixing involving 12 matches from 2008 to 2012. He was also said to be co-operating with investigators.

When Arif was charged, Sussex chairman Jim May wrote an open letter to supporters.

He said: “Sussex has worked very closely and co-operated with both the ICC and ECB anti-corruption units to help establish the facts of what occurred in the two limited overs matches during 2011.

“We are totally supportive of any action taken by the ECB and other authorities to tackle corruption.

“We are all conscious of the constant need to be vigilant and of the processes in place to report any suspicions.

“I want our supporters to know that our playing and coaching staff are extremely shocked and angry about the allegations that any former colleagues may have acted in a corrupt way while wearing the Sussex shirt.

“They see it as an insult to them and the game. Our players take a great personal pride in performing to the highest level when they play for Sussex.

“Indeed our unprecedented success in the last decade, despite having a mid-table playing budget, is testimony to the way the Sussex team continues to punch above its weight.”

Yesterday (Tuesday 17 June) the former Whitehawk footballer Michael Boateng was found guilty along with two Singaporean men of trying to fix matches. They will be sentenced on Friday (20 June).

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Sussex cricketer banned for life over match-fixing at Hove

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2014
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News