• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Court

Parole Board says lessons must be learnt from case of Hove killer who struck again while on licence

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 4 Jun, 2015 at 10:59AM
A A
0
Parole Board says lessons must be learnt from case of Hove killer who struck again while on licence

The Parole Board says it is determined to learn lessons from the case of a man who stabbed his Hove neighbour in the head while on parole for killing another of his neighbours 29 years ago.

Keith Williams, 48, of Sackville Road, was jailed for life on Monday for the attempted murder of Amaris Hatton at her flat next door in September last year.

It emerged that he was on life licence after serving 26 years of a life sentence for the manslaughter of pregnant teenager Melinda Croft, whose burning body was found by firefighters after also being repeatedly stabbed.

The Parole Board has now completed a review of the case, and says learning points have been identified as a result.

Melinda’s sister Paula Croft, who moved from the family home in Hastings to Shrewsbury following the attack, said: “I think it’s absolutely terrible that he was every given parole. He was in prison because he’s a dangerous psychopath.

“I can’t believe he got out to attack that lady – the things he did were horrendous. Thank god she wasn’t killed.

“I know the scars will heal, but the emotional stuff you go through – how on earth can she ever get over that? I really feel for her.

“The parole board is made up of lawyers, psychiatrists, really important people, I can’t believe they allowed that to happen.

Keith Williams
Keith Williams

“When he was sentenced for the manslaughter of my sister, three top psychiatrists said there was no treatment for him which would alleviate his state of mind. They called him a psychopath.

“It was horrendous when he was released – our family all just said he’s going to do it again and we were extremely upset. We knew it was just a matter of time before he attacked again.

“He’s never shown any remorse in all the years he was in prison. We were told by the parole board and the prison service that he would never be released from prison all the time he still posed a risk. Clearly that didn’t happen.

“I think somebody needs to be held accountable.”

A spokesman for the Parole Board said: “The board deeply regrets the circumstances which led to Keith Williams carrying out an attempted murder following a Parole Board decision to release him in October 2013.

“In cases such as this one, the board is committed to doing everything it can to learn the lessons that will help to prevent further tragedies.

“To this end, the Parole Board has a Review Committee which includes two senior independent figures to identify any lessons that need to be learned for the future. This case has now been considered by the Review Committee and learning points have been identified.

“Keith Williams was serving a Life sentence when the board reviewed his case in October 2013. Life sentences carry a minimum term, or tariff, which the sentencing court imposes for the purposes of punishment and to reflect the gravity of the offence.

“Once a life sentenced prisoner has served the tariff, or minimum term of imprisonment fixed by the sentencing court for the purposes of punishment and deterrence, he is entitled to regular reviews of his continued detention.

“The Parole Board makes its decisions by assessing the risk the prisoner presents to the public. It may only direct the release of a life sentence prisoner if it is satisfied that it is no longer necessary for them to be detained in order to protect the public from harm.

“When making its decision the Parole Board will take into account the nature of the index offence, the prisoner’s offending history, the prisoner’s progress in prison, any statement made on behalf of the victim(s), psychologist’s reports, probation officer’s reports, prisons officer’s reports and any statistical risk assessments that have been completed. There must also be a comprehensive resettlement plan in place.

“The Parole Board takes its responsibility to protect the public extremely seriously. Parole Board members are provided with robust training and, when deciding whether or not to release a prisoner, the protection of the public is always their primary concern.”

Keith Williams killed 17-year-old Melinda Croft after living next door to her and her fiance Alex. Paula said he became obsessed with her and made life so uncomfortable that Alex told him to leave her alone.

He then moved away, but came back on a night when he knew Alex would be out with friends and pregnant Melinda would be resting at home.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Parole Board says lessons must be learnt from case of Hove killer who struck again while on licence

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2015
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News