• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton doorman pulls distressed man out of stormy waves

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 18 Nov, 2015 at 8:36PM
A A
2
Brighton doorman pulls distressed man out of stormy waves

A Brighton doorman has been hailed a hero after entering 8ft waves at the height of Storm Barney to pull a distressed man to safety.

Clive Read
Clive Read, 24, was working at The Arch when he spotted the Brighton Beach Patrol quad bike racing down to the shoreline shortly after midnight.

He followed it to the sea, and saw a young man trying to enter the sea, at which point his instincts kicked in and he followed him into the waves to pull him back to shore.

Mr Read, a father of four, said: “I wrestled with him pulling back, he was a young lad and was just saying please let me die. He tried getting back in again and then we let the response units and the police deal with him.

“We were down in the water, about four inches above my knees, but at one stage we were kneeling and the water was coming right over our head. The waves were horrendous.”

Once back on dry land, the young man was quickly taken away by the emergency services, who had been called by Clive’s colleagues.

Since starting work on the seafront 18 months ago, Clive has never rescued anyone before, but is very aware of how dangerous the water can be.

He said: “Every night whenever we work down the seafront we are always aware of how dangerous the sea is, and we’re vigilant about what the public’s doing down there.

“I was working on the beach earlier this year when those young guys were swept away at the other end of the beach, so we’re very aware if we see anyone come near the sea.

“The Arch is absolutely amazing, we’re regularly briefed about what the sea’s like and what’s going on around town.”

Since last night, news of Clive’s heroism has spread, largely due to a Facebook post by the Brighton Beach Patrol, which said: “Unimaginable bravery and professionalism and we are overwhelmed to see seafront venues consistently keeping a eye out for us whilst we deal with issues on the shoreline.”

A spokesman for Sussex Police said: “At 12.11am on Wednesday (18 November) we were called to the seafront at Brighton after staff had helped a man in a distressed condition from the seashore.

“He was already ashore when officers arrived and was detained under Section 136 of the Mental Health Act, for medical check-up and assessment at hospital by trained medical staff.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Eye Marshall Photography says:
    11 years ago

    What an unselfish and heroic act by a family man. Well done mate, you are a credit to the city. Due respect also to the emergency services and beach patrol, for what must have been a difficult situation

    Reply
    • Clive read says:
      11 years ago

      Thank you

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Brighton doorman pulls distressed man out of stormy waves

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
November 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News