• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Burglars ransack Brighton cafe – but community’s reaction makes it ‘best day ever’ for owner

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 28 Apr, 2016 at 2:12PM
A A
0
Burglars ransack Brighton cafe – but community’s reaction makes it ‘best day ever’ for owner

The owner of a cafe ransacked by burglars last weekend says the way the neighbourhood has rallied round has turned it around from a tragedy to a triumph of community spirit.

Verdict break-in
John Easterby’s heart sank when he opened up The Verdict in Edward Street on Monday morning to find doors and fittings smashed, the place turned upside down and thousands of pounds stolen.

But with the help of his friends and neighbours, what should have been a terrible time was turned into “the best day ever”.

Mr Easterby said: “I came in on Monday morning and looked through the windows at the back of the cafe and I could see ladders were leaning against the wall and immediately thought oh God, something’s happened.

“I was devastated when I found out they’d discovered where the weekend’s takings had been hidden away – they’d turned the place upside down until they found it. They also took a laptop and a very expensive camera.

“They broke a lot of doors and did a bit of damage down in the club area.

“It was horrible feeling to find lots of muddy footprints on your possessions. It was a sudden and concerted effort.

“But I put a few bits of fluff on Facebook about what had happened and we’ve had offers of help flooding in. My butcher’s just given us a load of mince, friends of mine have come in and started to paint the cafe.

“Musicians have also got in touch to suggest benefit gigs and well-wishers popped their heads round the door to offer some quite disturbing ideas for dealing with the culprits, if they ever found them!

“There’s this wonderful atmosphere, albeit tempered by the fact that I have lost thousands of pounds – but thanks to what the community, Amex staff, the university, police (who were fantastic) and neighbourhood have done, it’s been one of the best days ever.

“Far from being brought down by the experience, we are collectively fired-up, motivated and excited about the future. I feel really lucky (and undeserving) of all the good will, lucky beyond words to have such great staff and fortunate to run a business in this precise part of town, which I still absolutely love.”

Police said they are now appealing for witnesses to anyone who saw the break-in, which happened sometime between 11pm on Sunday (24 April) and 7.30am on Monday (25 April).

PC Ella Graham-Scott said: “If anyone saw something suspicious overnight on Sunday we would very much like to speak with them.

“Witnesses can email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101 quoting reference 171 of 25/04.”

Alternatively, you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 (www.crimestoppers-uk.org).

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Burglars ransack Brighton cafe – but community’s reaction makes it ‘best day ever’ for owner

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
April 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News