• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Brighton and Hove housing committee members hold minute’s silence after Grenfell Tower fire deaths

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 14 Jun, 2017 at 5:57PM
A A
2
Brighton and Hove housing committee members hold minute’s silence after Grenfell Tower fire deaths

Councillors and officials held a minute’s silence for the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire in London today (Wednesday 14 June).

At least 12 people died in the fire which raged for hours early this morning.

All those at the Brighton and Hove City Council Housing and New Homes Committee at Hove Town Hall this afternoon stood at the start of the meeting.

Councillor Anne Meadows, who chairs the committee, said: “Our thoughts are with the people affected by the terrible fire at Grenfell Tower and we thank the London Fire Brigade, the London Ambulance Service, all medical staff and council colleagues for their responses and their bravery.

“The safety of our residents is of paramount importance to us.

“All council-owned high-rise blocks are inspected by the council each year to ensure they are compliant with current standards.

“We work closely with East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service through our Housing Fire Health and Safety Board to review and oversee compliance with current fire safety regulations in our housing stock, in particular high-rise blocks.

“The board has met this morning and has discussed the Grenfell Tower fire.

“A pilot sprinkler system – funded by Brighton and Hove City Council and East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service – was completed in 2016 at Somerset Point, a high-rise seniors housing scheme in the city.

“Working closely with our partners we have been able to increase the housing capital budget for works to reduce fire risk.

“We’re proposing sprinkler systems in two further high rise blocks in the city, subject to resident consultation in the blocks concerned.

“As is the case with any major incident, we – along with our partners – will review processes and systems but until the results of investigations into Grenfell Tower fire are available we cannot speculate on the potential cause or causes.

“We can ask for a report back to the Housing and New Homes Committee when the inquiry has been completed.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Valerie says:
    9 years ago

    They will have been praying for themselves too and considering how safe the cladding is going to prove to be on all the buildings so far ‘refurbished’ in Brighton & Hove.

    Read this from BRE http://sesam-uae.com/safetyauh/presentations/Sarah.pdf

    Reply
  2. Valerie says:
    9 years ago

    Every single high rise flat needs to be equipped with a fire extinguisher for electrical/appliance, other fire.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton and Hove housing committee members hold minute’s silence after Grenfell Tower fire deaths

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News