• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Albion players open new emergency unit at Brighton hospital

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 28 Mar, 2018 at 8:02AM
A A
0
Albion players open new emergency unit at Brighton hospital

Steve Barden, Pamela Heafield, Marianne Griffiths, Bruno Saltor and Anthony Knockaert

Two Brighton and Hove Albion footballers opened a new emergency unit at the Royal Sussex County Hospital yesterday afternoon (Tuesday 27 March).

Bruno Saltor and Anthony Knockaert

Bruno Saltor and Anthony Knockaert opened the new Emergency Ambulatory Care Unit (EACU) at the Royal Sussex and met staff and patients.

The players joined hospital trust chief executive Marianne Griffiths to cut the ribbon on the new unit and mark its official opening.

This new combined ambulatory unit is part of the A&E (Accident and Emergency) Department, creating space for 70 patients to be treated.

It is one of the first in the country where medical and surgical teams work alongside each other to treat emergency patients who do not need to stay in overnight.

This allows those patients to move more quickly from initial triage to receiving treatment and frees up space in A&E and on other wards for patients who are more seriously unwell.

Marianne Griffiths said: “We want our patients to get the best possible treatment.

“In opening the Emergency Ambulatory Care Unit today we are supporting the efforts of our staff and the care of our patients with significant improvements to the A&E environment.

“This light and spacious unit increases the overall capacity within A&E.

“It allows us to develop new, better treatment pathways for many patients and makes it easier to deliver seamless care across the department.

“It takes pressure off both the A&E front door and our overnight wards.”

Steve Barden, Pamela Heafield, Marianne Griffiths, Bruno Saltor and Anthony Knockaert

Steve Barden, lead consultant for the EACU, said: “This combined unit will make a real difference to patients and staff.

“It allows us to transfer the care of patients between medical and surgical teams as seamlessly as possible, which improves patients’ experience.

“We can offer treatments to patients on a day case basis who previously would have been admitted, even though they didn’t require 24-hour hospital care.

“The potential of what we can offer will continue to grow now that the unit is a fully operational part of our Emergency Department.”

The Emergency Ambulatory Care unit has nine treatment rooms, six treatment spaces, three procedure rooms, two side rooms and an IV (intravenous) therapy area that can accommodate 14 patients.

It is the first phase in a broader programme of improvements to A&E at the Royal Sussex which started last year.

The £30 million programme will include reconfiguring and expanding other key areas in A&E in three phases, creating space overall for an extra 105 patients.

It means extra doctors and nurses too, with bosses at the hospital aiming to complete the project by the end of next year.

Part of the reason it will take so long is that the area is being reconfigured without closing the busy existing facilities and all while the major wider modernisation project is under way.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Albion players open new emergency unit at Brighton hospital

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
March 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News