• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Private investor looks to revive Brighton’s Madeira Terrace with hotel and restaurants

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 4 Aug, 2018 at 2:02PM
A A
4
New Madeira Terrace supports to be placed either side of Concorde2

The fenced off Madeira Terraces - Picture by Jax Atkins from 2016

A private investor wants to revive the rundown Madeira Terrace on Brighton seafront with a hotel and restaurants.

Boxpark founder and chief executive Roger Wade aims to use the scheme as a way of restoring the crumbling Victorian architecture of his hometown.

The company said that it had submitted plans to turn Madeira Terrace into an “internationally renowned leisure destination showcasing the vibrancy and creativity of the city”.

The plans include a food and beverage offer, which would extend on to Madeira Drive in good weather, and a hotel, according to the specialist Propel newsletter.

It reported plans to “augment” the arches with a new building that would “substantially increase commercial performance” in the area.

The newsletter said: “The plan also includes new green spaces along Madeira Terrace and the road above, Marine Parade, while tourist attraction Volk’s Railway would be integrated into a ‘shared landscape’.”

It said that Boxpark had requested a 12-month exclusivity period to explore design, funding and management options with Brighton and Hove City Council.

Mr Wade is believed to be looking to unlock the entire Brighton strategic development programme by “linking key development sites along the seafront”.

A company spokesman told Propel: “Our proposal will restore Madeira Drive to its former glory as Brighton’s premier all-year leisure and event destination and an internationally renowned visitor attraction.

“This proposal will create a dynamic and active retail parade with a sustainable, year-round food and beverage offer, extending on to the street in good weather to animate and enliven the entire beachfront.

“The retail offer will be carefully curated from our extensive database of leading UK operators and within our existing relationships with leading hospitality businesses.

“The upper levels of the new buildings are to be hotel accommodation of circa 160 suites, with potential for one of the blocks to be converted to office space.”

Soho House already has permission to create a £60 million members’ club on the seafront that would include restaurants, bars, an open-air plunge pool and terraces.

Both projects are close to the Palace Pier, which is now owned by the entrepreneur Luke Johnson.

Boxpark is working on a site in Wembley and has other London sites in Shoreditch and Croydon.

The company is also collaborating with Adur and Worthing councils on a project called Shoreham Beach Box in partnership with Fatboy Slim and chef Danny Stockland.

They hope to create a destination for tourists and the community, with an annual calendar of talks, workshops and events.

The partnership was developed in April last year and the scheme is due to be built in the spring and summer next year.

Carphone Warehouse founder Sir Charles Dunstone is chairman of Boxpark.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Ben P. says:
    8 years ago

    I am not against the development of the arches with a hotel, but more restaurants? There is already a Harvesters, and soon to be another 3 or 4 restaurants being developed as part of the SOHO House project, what is needed in addition to the hotel, are more boutique shops, exhibition space, galleries etc as proposed by Brighton Council, NOT simply a hotel and restaurants which most Brighton locals I would guess won’t visit.
    Also the existing uses of Madeira Drive need to be maintained, especially the Brighton Marathon, Brighton Speed Trials, and all the other motoring and non-moting events, this should definitely NOT become an exclusively hotel and restaurant area!

    Reply
    • Rob says:
      8 years ago

      Gosh if there is a Harvester, who would possibly want anything else…..

      Reply
    • Marcus says:
      8 years ago

      Harvester is for chavs. Soho house for cool people. We need more trendy places. Harvesters should be saved for portslade. Worthing etc to match the demographics

      Reply
  2. Mrs Pearl Moore says:
    8 years ago

    I think it is a wonderful idea clean up the area have some where for people to go in the day and evening like abroad creates more jobs for people get on with it I say me being a Brighton born and bred love to see it alive again

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New bus route to start next month

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Private investor looks to revive Brighton’s Madeira Terrace with hotel and restaurants

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2018
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News